News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I don't get why anybody would want to get into law, but to each his own. Wish you guys the best. :hug:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 12:14:13 PM
I don't get why anybody would want to get into law, but to each his own. Wish you guys the best. :hug:

The law made me into the man I am today.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Still light at 8pm.
I am happy.
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2015, 12:14:42 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 12:14:13 PM

The law made me into the man I am today.   :cool:

As much as our careers form who we are, I would like to think we would be good decent men no matter the career path we chose. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2015, 09:37:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 12:05:16 AM
Not really.

Indeed.  Jaron is like, what, 35?  36?  It'd be an iffy idea to go to Yale at that age.

People who prepare to jump off cliffs don't need to be encouraged, and people who tell them that there are sharp rocks at the bottom aren't necessarily assholes.

Jaron's profile says he's 30, so he has plenty of 70 hour weeks left in him.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

alfred russel

And there is no love for accountancy.  :(

Sure it is boring as shit, but it isn't any worse than law. You don't need nearly as much school, and job prospects are better.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

I actually think accounting can be quite interesting. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Shystering still has sex appeal that bean counting lacks.

DGuller

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 01:27:22 PM
Shystering still has sex appeal that bean counting lacks.

QUIT HITTING ON ME
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on March 31, 2015, 01:36:45 PM
:yeahright:

How many TV shows are set in accounting firms?  How many blockbuster movies are there about audits?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 01:38:53 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 31, 2015, 01:36:45 PM
:yeahright:

How many TV shows are set in accounting firms?  How many blockbuster movies are there about audits?

It can be hard to actually identify who accountants are. Job titles usually aren't "accountant" and often are preceded by "financial" something or other.

I'm an accountant--my role is relatively traditional and I'm a CPA--but I can tell the random person at a bar my title and what I do without lying or giving away I'm an accountant (to someone who isn't familiar with accounting functions, at least).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius