News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I can't put my finger on what it is, but there is something that annoys me about the Humans of New York thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

I can put my finger on it. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2014, 02:01:40 PM
What is it?

He's annoyed it doesn't feature the "Animals of New York".  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2014, 01:58:47 PM
I can't put my finger on what it is, but there is something that annoys me about the Humans of New York thing.

Too artistic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

QuoteWhat's sadder, having or losing 3GB of cat pictures?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I don't even know what this is, but I can guess: it's the lame special snowflakism.  E.g.

Quote"What's your biggest dream for your child?"
"We'll let him dream for himself."

Total garbage.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 11, 2014, 02:43:14 PM

I don't even know what this is, but I can guess: it's the lame special snowflakism.  E.g.

Total garbage.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Parents should have evolving plans for their children, based on their individual aptitudes and proclivities.  Flexible dreams, not an absence of dreams.

The correct answer is "He's very good at math and likes airplanes.  I think he'd make an aeronautical engineer."  Not this disengaged, "do whatever you like, honey" crap.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Alternatively, "He's not very bright or intellectually curious, so maybe he shouldn't go to college, and instead seek his fortune in a trade," but maybe that's what they meant by being so vague.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Sure if you want to be deliberately obtuse, you could take that stance.

At any rate, I find it a bit foolish to be against something when you don't even know what it is. :D

Ideologue

I was simply offering a possible source for Spice's mysterious antipathy. :P
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 11, 2014, 02:43:14 PM

Total garbage.

It's just unresponsively glib.

It is totally possible to let a kid dream for himself, while also having your own dreams for him. The question was asking about the latter.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius