The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

I forget, who's The Log again?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Bah...ever since we moved our office into this strip plaza with all these dodgy Russian  businesses, I knew someone would hit my car in the parking lot. Sure enough...someone at work pointed it out to me this a.m. Nasty dent in the passenger side door. No note, no nothing.

Fucking Russians.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2014, 09:51:06 AM
I was hoping you were being silly as I doubted you thought that the campaign was saying being called bossy at 3 ruins girls for life.

I think we've called out my nephew and niece for being bossy on different occasions.  Had no clue we were scarring her for life (I'm guessing it was okay to call my nephew bossy).  Good news is that neither of them listened to us, so I look forward to both of them taking on leadership roles in middle school.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Valmy

I was hoping you were being silly as I doubted you thought that the campaign was saying being called bossy at 3 ruins girls for life.

Of course I was being silly, I hear stuff like this all the time. 

However there are two other reasons I found it funny.  Generally I hear parents take pride in having assertive daughters who are 'bossy' and how much more grown up and mature girls are and how boys are hardly fit to wipe their own ass.  Also it is a parenting trope that your daughter is this awesome super star who you are sure is destined for the Presidency, and then proceeds to melt down and go nuts when puberty hits at 12 or so.  So saying that by junior high the constant assaults on her confidence have finally born fruit seems a little selective.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Girls just want to have fun.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 09:30:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2014, 09:21:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 09:18:29 AM
That is the reason kids have problems in Middle School.  It is because as toddlers somebody called them bossy.

:rolleyes:

Sorry was Middle School awesome for you or something?

Besides as a parent I am always amused by the notion 'remember that little thing you said when your kid was 3?  DOOMED THEM FOR LIFE!!'

The ad campaign is typical of the various messages parents are bombarded with - do this, don't do that, or your kids will suffer terrible disadvantages. Usually such messages are highly exaggerated (as is the case here). In reality, kids are pretty adaptable; if not, they would all be doomed.  Parents get used to this crap and it is typically ignored or mocked in direct proportion to how exaggerated the claims are.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

The ad makes no sense.  If the issue is that girls are reprimanded when they assert themselves, how does punishing boys who do this solve anything?

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on April 02, 2014, 10:00:48 AM
Bah...ever since we moved our office into this strip plaza with all these dodgy Russian  businesses, I knew someone would hit my car in the parking lot. Sure enough...someone at work pointed it out to me this a.m. Nasty dent in the passenger side door. No note, no nothing.

Fucking Russians.

Office in a strip plaza? eww.
Those things are an abomination.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2014, 10:40:38 AM
The ad makes no sense.  If the issue is that girls are reprimanded when they assert themselves, how does punishing boys who do this solve anything

The ad is saying that girls should not be reprimanded not that boys should be.  Granted any kid who asserts themselves is going to be reprimanded because adults tend to be annoyed by that sort of thing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:43:01 AM
The ad is saying that girls should not be reprimanded not that boys should be.  Granted any kid who asserts themselves is going to be reprimanded because adults tend to be annoyed by that sort of thing.

Ah, so when they say "ban bossy" they mean the reprimand, not the action?  OK, makes sense.

Like we really need an entire generation of shrill, high maintenance women.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:43:01 AM
Granted any kid who asserts themselves is going to be reprimanded because adults tend to be annoyed by that sort of thing.

Sometimes it's cute, though.  When Lola tries to boss me around I can't help but play along.  She even tries to talk to me like adults speak to small children.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall