And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 09:17:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 09:11:23 PM
Also, the punishment is basically apt (edit: ASSUMING OF COURSE that the charge and conviction was for statutory rape).  The fact that male would receive a public stoning probably does implicate some serious 14th Amendment issues, but so it goes.

:mellow:

15 year suspended sentence?  Yeah. :huh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 09:05:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 08:37:39 PM
The girl's mother repeatedly screamed, "You people suck!" and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.

Seriously?  Your daughter died and this is the best you can do?

THAT'S what you took from that article? :mellow:

It's a really weak thing to say.  Her dialogue needs punching-up.

Also, the punishment is basically apt (edit: ASSUMING OF COURSE that the charge and conviction was for statutory rape).  The fact that male would receive a public stoning probably does implicate some serious 14th Amendment issues, but so it goes.
Stacey's a dude
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2013, 09:34:24 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 09:05:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 08:37:39 PM
The girl's mother repeatedly screamed, "You people suck!" and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.

Seriously?  Your daughter died and this is the best you can do?

THAT'S what you took from that article? :mellow:

It's a really weak thing to say.  Her dialogue needs punching-up.

Stacey's a dude

Oh.  Oops.  I did not catch the "he" pronoun, and Meri made it sound like this person named Stacey was a woman. -_-

Well, good.  That's justice for all.

The fact is, inflicting 15 years of torture for a sexual indiscretion, even if it did somehow lead to a teen suicide (that's a real eggshell plaintiff), is not a viable way to run a society.

If it were not stat rape and instead involved nonconsensual sex--which one presumes, given the judge's comments, it did not--then obviously execution is the preferred option.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I'd include using his position of authority to negate consent as "nonconsensual," btw.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
I'd include using his position of authority to negate consent as "nonconsensual," btw.

Damned teacher's unions.

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 09:33:31 PM
15 year suspended sentence?  Yeah. :huh:

It was a guy, not a woman. He most certainly did NOT get stoned. Instead, he got 30 days. Oh, sorry, 31 days, minus time served of one day.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 09:39:09 PM
The fact is, inflicting 15 years of torture for a sexual indiscretion, even if it did somehow lead to a teen suicide (that's a real eggshell plaintiff), is not a viable way to run a society.

If it were not stat rape and instead involved nonconsensual sex--which one presumes, given the judge's comments, it did not--then obviously execution is the preferred option.

Indiscretion? She was 14. Dude, you obviously do not remember what 14-year-old girls are like. They are not, at the best of times, in a position to make an informed decision about having sex with a teacher, nor deal with the advances of a 54-year-old man intent on fucking her. They may THINK they are, but no... they really aren't.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

I did not say it was not wrong, nor did I say it should not be criminalized.  It should certainly be met with the appropriate amount of social opprobrium, which is to say "a lot."

"Indiscretion" wasn't the phrasing I should've used.  It is and ought to be a crime, but meeting it with a quarter of a lifetime in GAOL is ridiculous.  If you feel that strongly about it, execute him.  I do not feel that strongly about it, and I reckon 30 days plus probation is appropriate.

And it depends on the exact nature of the order, but if it's a conditional suspended sentence (it doesn't say) it could be as much as essentially 15 years of probation.
Kinemalogue

Iormlund

That brings back memories. My high school _ethics_ teacher was convicted of statutory rape.

Ed Anger

I had a dream where I was a bagger at a grocery store. Endlessly bagging groceries. except the groceries were fetuses. Had the sound effects too, with the BEEP BEEP of the scanner ringing up shrinked wrapped fetuses.

Thus, I'm here at 2:50am.  :glare:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 01:53:33 AM
I had a dream where I was a bagger at a grocery store. Endlessly bagging groceries. except the groceries were fetuses. Had the sound effects too, with the BEEP BEEP of the scanner ringing up shrinked wrapped fetuses.

Thus, I'm here at 2:50am.  :glare:

I'd like to option your dream for $250,000.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

How much did the fetuses cost?  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Ide: have your agent call my agent

Wigs: no idea.  :lol:

Ed Anger

And the dream repeats itself. I'm done for the night.  :yuk:

Admiral Yi

Those fetuses aren't going to scan themselves.  :mad: