News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Right. And female teachers just get off with a slap on the wrist....

QuoteBILLINGS, Mont. (AP) - A former high school teacher in Montana who pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old student who later killed herself has been sentenced to 30 days in jail by a judge who said the victim was "older than her chronological age" and "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.

The Billings Gazette reports District Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced 54-year-old Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison, with all but 31 days suspended. He also gave Rambold credit for one day already served.

The girl's mother repeatedly screamed, "You people suck!" and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.

Rambold reached a deferred prosecution agreement after the girl's death, but prosecutors revived the case when they learned he had been terminated from a sex offender treatment program.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Oh, those whacky activist judges.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 07:53:32 PM
Oh, those whacky activist judges.
The judge is up for re-election and running unopposed.

garbon

So I have been in midway for four hours now. What a shitty airport. Also odd they have a million outlets and people seem to keep leaving their chargers behind.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Oh shit, Midway airport.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

There is one restaurant here. After the first delay decide to get my wine on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Ideologue

[quote author]
The girl's mother repeatedly screamed, "You people suck!" and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.
[/quote]

Seriously?  Your daughter died and this is the best you can do?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 08:37:39 PM
[quote author
[/quote

Go inside her mind.

merithyn

THAT'S what you took from that article? :mellow:

CountDeMoney

In her defense, that was probably the last thing she expected, and that's the only thing that could come to mind.

Quotea judge who said the victim was "older than her chronological age" and "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.

What we need are pics, in order to make an appropriate ruling on this.

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 09:05:12 PM

THAT'S what you took from that article? :mellow:

It's a really weak thing to say.  Her dialogue needs punching-up.

Also, the punishment is basically apt (edit: ASSUMING OF COURSE that the charge and conviction was for statutory rape).  The fact that male would receive a public stoning probably does implicate some serious 14th Amendment issues, but so it goes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 09:07:14 PM
What we need are pics, in order to make an appropriate ruling on this.

She was 14. :mellow:

She looks 14.

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 09:11:23 PM
Also, the punishment is basically apt (edit: ASSUMING OF COURSE that the charge and conviction was for statutory rape).  The fact that male would receive a public stoning probably does implicate some serious 14th Amendment issues, but so it goes.

:mellow:

CountDeMoney