And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Monocle's list of best cities to live in places Copenhagen first again after a short hiatus. :yeah:

1 Copenhagen (3)
2 Melbourne (6)
3 Helsinki (2)
4 Tokyo (7)
5 Vienna (4)
6 Zürich (1)
7 Stockholm (10)
8 Munich (5)
9 Sydney (8)
10 Auckland (9)
11 Hong Kong (13)
12 Fukuoka (12)
13 Kyoto (11)
14 Paris (14)
15 Singapore (15)
16 Hamburg (16)
17 Honolulu (17)
18 Madrid (20)
19 Vancouver (19)
20 Berlin (18)
21 Barcelona (21)
22 Amsterdam (not ranked)
23 Portland (22)
24 San Francisco (23)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

As expected the list is deficient but we cant expect much judgment about such things from someone who only uses one eye.

Admiral Yi

From an Economist article about the Spanish language, the interesting observation that Spanish is widely studied as a second language in only three countries: the US, Brazil, and France.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 12:12:58 PM
As expected the list is deficient but we cant expect much judgment about such things from someone who only uses one eye.

You agree that Melbourne should be highly ranked, IIRC?

sbr

Moving my daughter out of the dorm today.

5th floor with no elevator sucks.

College campus on a warm sunny day does not suck.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2013, 01:33:50 PM

Yes.  Melbourne should definitely be #1.  Vancouver in the top three. 

merithyn

Quote from: sbr on June 14, 2013, 01:37:53 PM
Moving my daughter out of the dorm today.

5th floor with no elevator sucks.

College campus on a warm sunny day does not suck.

Does that creep you out at all?

I'll be walking on campus and see a couple of guys who are hot as hell... and then I'll realize that they're the same age as my sons. I never know how to react to that. I feel kind of creeped out by it, but... they're still awfully damn nice to look at...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 01:40:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2013, 01:33:50 PM

Yes.  Melbourne should definitely be #1.  Vancouver in the top three. 

Isn't that a matter of personal preference/taste? Vancouver is rather nice but I'm not sure it'd be in my top 3 of best places to live.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

sbr

Yes meri I did feel a bit creepy, but what else is there to do when waiting on a 19 year old girl to get her crap together than people watch.  :perv:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM
From an Economist article about the Spanish language, the interesting observation that Spanish is widely studied as a second language in only three countries: the US, Brazil, and France.

What about the Philippines and Bolivia?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2013, 02:09:23 PM
Isn't that a matter of personal preference/taste? Vancouver is rather nice but I'm not sure it'd be in my top 3 of best places to live.

Perhaps.  But in most surveys that is how they usually rank.  Sometimes Vancouver gets the #1 spot but now that I have seen Melbourne I dont think we deserve it.

sbr

Vancouver BC might be very nice, but in my mind it will always be tainted by the shithole that is Vancouver Washington