News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

CountDeMoney

I would've had fun with that exam at 10.  May not have gotten in, but it would've been fun.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 23, 2013, 10:35:52 AM
The entrance exam for Eton College. Undertaken by 10-year-old boys.
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/KS%202011%20General%20Paper%201.pdf

Woah.  Is that like the Harvard of Middle Schools or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2013, 10:41:55 AM

Well more like the Oxford of Middle Schools, but yes.  Even I've heard of Eton College.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Pretty much. It's where many of our Conservative government members and male royals went. Though whether the latter needed to pass the entrance exam...

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2013, 08:50:53 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 23, 2013, 08:42:49 AM
Someone jumped on the subway yesterday (which made me late, how inconsiderate of her), but they haven't IDed her yet because some else stole her purse. Gotta love the city.

Apart from the bit in bold, I can't see why this is post worthy. :D

Actually  Timmay would start a whole thread. It is an intersting story.

Basically woman jumps in front of subway train and gets crushed into little pieces, with blobs of blood and brain matter all over. Onlookers gawk, horrified. Women scream, young girls piss themselves. All except for one woman, who casually picks up the woman's purse and leaves.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2013, 10:41:55 AM

Gee, I guess my Old Estonians joke went flying over your head all those years ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2013, 10:51:18 AM
Someone jumped on the subway yesterday (which made me late, how inconsiderate of her), but they haven't IDed her yet because some else stole her purse. Gotta love the city.

Basically woman jumps in front of subway train and gets crushed into little pieces, with blobs of blood and brain matter all over. Onlookers gawk, horrified. Women scream, young girls piss themselves. All except for one woman, who casually picks up the woman's purse and leaves.

Heh, that was the morning rush-hour, right? Inconvenienced me too.  :D

BTW, I thought the press rarely published jumper details.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

They published to get an ID since she had none on her and its assumed to be in the stolen purse.

See garbon, the story mattered :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on May 23, 2013, 11:19:37 AM
They published to get an ID since she had none on her and its assumed to be in the stolen purse.

See garbon, the story mattered :D

Perhaps it is just me being New York but yeah story apart from it being subway victim having ID stolen (though I think wallets/purses can often disappear from general victims) isn't that remarkable. We've lots of people hit by the subway - and I'm not even sure how horrified bystanders get...especially given when we had that story of everyone kind of ignoring or taking photos of that man about to be hit by train.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2013, 11:37:04 AM...apart from it being subway victim having ID stolen...

Wasn't that the point of posting the story?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Twitter verse is all alight with John McCain accusing some Tea Party Senator from Utah as either being stupid or a liar, I guess publicly enough for it to be common knowledge.  Interesting...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2013, 10:57:41 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2013, 10:51:18 AM

Heh, that was the morning rush-hour, right? Inconvenienced me too.  :D

BTW, I thought the press rarely published jumper details.

So critical of the press lately. ;) There was a valid reason for it. There was a theft involved. The police need help finding the purse because they can't ID the woman without it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011