News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

There's a lot to like about LV, actually. It's arguably becoming the gourmet food capital of the world now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2013, 04:09:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2013, 04:06:57 PM
Christ :weep: :bleeding:

I don't know...there is something sort of pleasing about the curves of the streets.  You are already living in a soulless city in the middle of the desert after all.

Yeah-- it would be different if they had cut down a forest & flattened the land.  But there was likely nothing on that land to begin with.  If anything this sprawl is an improvement.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2013, 04:06:57 PM
Christ :weep: :bleeding:

Oh, save the Euroggance.  Cocktails don't serve themselves out there.

Barrister

How much interesting architecture are you going to get in a brand new subdivision anyways? :hmm:

What depresses me is how tiny all of the lots are. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2013, 04:24:30 PM

What's the point of a big lot if you can't grow grass on it?  LV has water restrictions.  I've been to a home like those pictured and it had nothing but a few cactii in the yard.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2013, 04:26:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2013, 04:24:30 PM

What's the point of a big lot if you can't grow grass on it?  LV has water restrictions.  I've been to a home like those pictured and it had nothing but a few cactii in the yard.

Build a patio back there with an outdoor kitchen, curing/smoking shed, maybe some additional outbuildings for storage. That's what I'd do. One thing I see a lot is people using their empty backyard space to store an RV. A buddy of mine gave up trying to grow his grass and just put in a playground for his kids.

Syt

Not Las Vegas (this one's in Markham, Ontario), but still. "You're a unique individual - just like everyone else!"

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2013, 04:15:49 PM
Yeah-- it would be different if they had cut down a forest & flattened the land.  But there was likely nothing on that land to begin with.  If anything this sprawl is an improvement.
Desert's attractive too. Sprawl is never attractive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Hey check out all those Canadian duplexes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2013, 04:38:42 PM

Well it is either build out or build up.  We have highrises to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Where are the fences. WHERE ARE THE FENCES!!

altough I guess you dont really need them when you have guns.

MadImmortalMan

Hey that guy blocked the other dude's driveway. How rude.

Malthus

Can't stand those cookie-cutter suburbs - it would freak me the hell out to live in one. They are very common in the Toronto suburbs. There is literally nowhere to walk to.

OTOH, if you want a big new house and you don't have millions of dollars, you have little choice. I'd rather rent, though.

I do love where I live now - its very walkable.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2013, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2013, 04:38:42 PM

Well it is either build out of build up.  We have highrises to.
Build up :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2013, 04:43:39 PM
Where are the fences. WHERE ARE THE FENCES!!

altough I guess you dont really need them when you have guns.

They are Canadians, they do not have any guns.  Fortunately they are all equipt with Hockey sticks and curling brooms.