News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2013, 01:30:09 PM

Like I'm willing to take that chance.  Last link he put up was Cowboy BeBop, or some other anime shit Lettow whacks off to when he crossdresses in schoolgirl sailor outfit.
Lol, yeah right. Way too mainstream for Lettow. If an American aged 25-30 has seen one anime, it's Cowboy Bebop. Plus, it's about bounty hunters in space, not his style.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Speed Racer wants you to fuck off.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 11, 2013, 11:14:00 PM

Like I'm willing to take that chance.  Last link he put up was Cowboy BeBop, or some other anime shit Lettow whacks off to when he crossdresses in schoolgirl sailor outfit.
Lol, yeah right. Way too mainstream for Lettow. If an American aged 25-30 has seen one anime, it's Cowboy Bebop. Plus, it's about bounty hunters in space, not his style.

I'm 31 and the one anime I saw scarred me for life.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2013, 11:19:02 PM

"that's my story and i'm sticking to it. The origin of my deep-seated mental imbalance is this one time when I saw an episode of sailor moon."
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 11, 2013, 11:31:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2013, 11:19:02 PM

"that's my story and i'm sticking to it. The origin of my deep-seated mental imbalance is this one time when I saw an episode of sailor moon."

There was a woman being raped by some kind of bear-monster and there was a little goblin wearing a cloak and he was helping.  Then the woman turned into a monster.  I don't know exactly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Maybe its much more mainstream in the US, I don't know, but....yeah, theres loads much more mainstream anime. Pokemon is the one I'd wager most people have seen. Digimon and Yu Gi Oh and other such game crap too.
Even DragonballZ, Sailor Moon, etc... to a lesser extent
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

You know that feeling, languish

when you are rocking back and forth hugging your knees

because you can't wait for the reign of

shireen baratheon, first of her name~
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2013, 02:17:49 AM

Maybe its much more mainstream in the US, I don't know, but....yeah, theres loads much more mainstream anime. Pokemon is the one I'd wager most people have seen. Digimon and Yu Gi Oh and other such game crap too.
Even DragonballZ, Sailor Moon, etc... to a lesser extent
I was thinking anime made for teens/adults. You are likely correct that more have seen kiddie stuff like Pokemon.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 12, 2013, 02:30:37 AM
You know that feeling, languish

when you are rocking back and forth hugging your knees

because you can't wait for the reign of

shireen baratheon, first of her name~
:lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

In March there's elections in Carinthia after the corruption scandal in the government coalition of conservatives and right-wing populists. The other right-wing populists (yes, there's two parties of those - the former Haider party FPÖ and the recent Haider party BZÖ) use this campaign poster: "Liberate Carinthia!"

The FPÖ replied that the poster is disrespectful of the victims of WW2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preposterous-Erections-Book-English-Towers/dp/0711233586

QuoteEighteenth-century eye-catchers, nineteenth-century ego boosters, twentieth- century communicators, towers continually rise up into our collective consciousness. They are the landmarks of our journeys, the map pins of our personal geographies; always looked-out for, always in the corner of the eye.

Preposterous Erections brings together sixty uniquely fascinating towers from all corners of England. From the parkland Brizlee Tower in Northumberland to the coastal Doyden Castle in Cornwall, Peter Ashley tells us their stories through his own very individual photographs and his witty and irreverent commentary. Although there is an obvious core of eighteenth and nineteenth-century landowner's eccentricities, the more recent past is not forgotten, including the instantly recognisable Post Office tower in London's Fitzrovia and the more retiring Lewis's department store art deco tower in Leicester. Monument or observatory, watch tower or water tower, these are sixty of the very best. Preposterous Erections will arouse the interest of even the most casual observer.

User comments:

QuotePreposterous Erections is quite thick, but I think you'll find yourself able to handle the entire thing in one sitting. It is penetrating and surprisingly deep. By the time you finish handling the last erection, you'll be begging for a sequel.

I recommend this book in hardback. If you purchase the paperback version, beware you'll have trouble keeping it up when reading in bed at night.

Some of the prose is a bit stiff, so it can be hard to stomach all at once. It helps if you ease your way into it. Overall, I must stand and salute you, Mr Ashley. You got right in there with both hands and pulled this one out.

I've been so absorbed by this book that I almost took the whole thing in in one sitting. Then I realized I didn't want to finish too quickly, so I pulled back a bit and now I'm just taking it one erection at a time.

It wasn't long enough. Once I'd opened it up, I had finished which frankly sucks. And as for the ending, limp.

Some days I can't even get out of bed without fiddling with this book. But I have to admit, I think it is a little overwhelming to try and take in all these erections in one sitting. I find it's best to pick this up maybe two, or three times a day for a few minutes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

That's almost too easy of a target. Kinda difficult to be witty when the joke's already written itself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Looking at RAF aircraft crashes and they included some truly tragic, stupid and wtf moments like this one:

07/05/1968   XR133       Argosy C1   267 Sqn   

During a flypast at Got El Afrag, Libya to check the undercarriage the aircraft struck a 45 gallon oil drum which was 10ft above the ground and used as a shower. The starboard wing struck the ground and the aircraft cartwheeled onto its back and exploded. All eleven on board were killed

:(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"