News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 04:02:24 PM
82 days on a submarine with NO PORT CALLS sucks.  On the other hand, the food was pretty good.

Funny. My nephew got posted to an L.A. Class boat last month - he's a cook.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2012, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 04:02:24 PM
82 days on a submarine with NO PORT CALLS sucks.  On the other hand, the food was pretty good.

Funny. My nephew got posted to an L.A. Class boat last month - he's a cook.

Best cooks in the world. If you can make the stuff they get (and can store in that small galley) taste like real food, you can cook anything.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Okay, so I couldn't help but click on the link "COPS: Woman Faking Injury For Worker's Comp Busted After Sex Romp In Park..." on Drudge. 

Kinda wish I hadn't, though I'm still laughing.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/12/14/bay-areas-womans-sex-act-reveals-workers-comp-fraud/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2012, 09:31:10 PM
Where did this screen-door Polish submarine thing come from? I can't recall.

Actual, real-life events.  Or a joke book, I forget.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2012, 07:02:28 AM
Thank you, Delta, for emailing me 30 minutes before boarding that the flight has been delayed. The birds in the terminal are also a nice touch.

On the flip side, thank you, Virgin, for actually taking off ahead of schedule and having a pleasant flight crew. Having an entire row to myself is also making it much more comfortable to get work done. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Razgovory on December 17, 2012, 08:02:29 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 06:23:54 PM
Thanks, guys.  Good to be back.  :cheers:

Arab Spring been keeping you busy?

You have no idea, dude.  I've earned my pay, lol.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 04:47:04 PM
Yeah, it's weird.  The same guys, every hour every day every week every month.  It gets old.  :mad:

Oh please, we all know you were on the Carter playing with all the fun snooper stuff off the Levant, translating in between hooka puffs and crosswords back in the guest stateroom that had "VIP INTEL DO NOT KNOCK" on the door.

Again, I wish.  My cousin is a nuke on the USS Carter.  I was on another boat, in another AOR.  Not my cup of tea.  It was an experience, but not one that I care to repeat anytime soon.

Also, my area was CONSTANTLY being sub-parititioned for the VTCs that the Captain insisted on having.  He's LOVES his face time with the flag officers.   <_<  I wouldn't mind except it was quite a distraction from, oh, THE MISSION.   :nelson:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

On a slightly different note Spanky, when did you stop writing in haiku?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2012, 11:24:28 AM
On a slightly different note Spanky, when did you stop writing in haiku?

I still do at times.  Never by design, though.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 11:19:04 AM
Also, my area was CONSTANTLY being sub-parititioned for the VTCs that the Captain insisted on having.  He's LOVES his face time with the flag officers.   <_<

:bleeding:

Powerpoint, VTC equipment, and high-speed encrypted data links have formed an unholy trinity of military brass mental masturbation.

Admiral Yi

Invented at the Warsaw shipyard.

garbon

Yesterday a hip-hop station was playing back in the day music during the lunch hour. It was all mid-to-late 90s hip-hop and rap. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2012, 11:59:02 AM

Invented at the Warsaw shipyard.

Wouldn't that joke work better as the Gdansk shipyard? :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2012, 12:01:16 PM
Yesterday a hip-hop station was playing back in the day music during the lunch hour. It was all mid-to-late 90s hip-hop and rap. :weep:

I know, I know - it really was bad, wasn't it. :console:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2012, 09:18:50 AM
Best cooks in the world. If you can make the stuff they get (and can store in that small galley) taste like real food, you can cook anything.

Truth.  I can't complain about the food... and really, that's about the only thing they can do for crew morale.