News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2012, 11:59:37 PM
I'll probably regret asking this, but what's the difference between moe anime and other anime?

All you never wanted to know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang)

QuoteMoe (萌え?, pronounced [mo.e]) is a Japanese slang word. Moe is not a concrete term. It is constantly evolving and being used in many different ways. Moe is a feeling or characteristic. Despite the belief of some, moe is not a genre. The term "moe" can be tacked on to the end of any personality trait or physical trait to create a new type of moe. According to Patrick W. Galbraith it means "a rarefied pseudo-love for certain fictional characters (in anime, manga, and the like) and their related embodiments."[1] [2] notes that it is a pun derived from a Japanese word that literally means "budding," as with a plant that is about to flower, and thus it can also be used to mean "budding" as with a preadolescent girl.[3] Since the word is also a homonym for "burning" pronounced moe (燃え?), there is also speculation that the word stems from the burning passion felt for the characters.[4] The word has come to be used to mean one particular kind of "adorable", one specific type of "cute", mainly as applied to fictional characters.

The word is occasionally spelled Moé, and was originally related to a strong interest in a particular type or style of character in video games, anime or manga. "Moe!" is also used within anime fandom as an interjection[citation needed]. Girls who are moe are called moekko (萌えっ娘?) from the honorific "娘" meaning "female child".

[...]

Characteristics
See also: neoteny
large eyes (1/5 size of face)[14]
small nose[14]
flat face[14]
tall iris[14]
body 5.7 heads tall[14]
thin limbs[14]
large head[14]
colorful hair[14]
bangs over eyes[14]
neotenized face[14]
anime antenna hair called ahoge (アホ毛?)[14][15]

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Scenes from an upcoming moe anime of the fall season, Girls und Panzer;

edit: Wait! Imperceptibly, the music of the evening has CHANGED!~
now, we go to make evening tea and the tune is altogether different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqWqhkBKd14
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Whenever  I meet a girl called Moe I can't help but chuckle due to that connection.
One is a particularly small and moe student too....
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

The only Moe I know has two brothers: Larry and Curly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2012, 03:06:11 AM
The only Moe I know has two brothers: Larry and Curly.

Yeah, no shit.

Josephus

Doesn't Lettow have his own thread?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Recently had a couple of flights on American with some lengthy delays...now find out the pilots are having a work slow down. Damn those guys.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I have had a work slow down for the past 20 years or so.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on September 19, 2012, 09:05:58 AM
Recently had a couple of flights on American with some lengthy delays...now find out the pilots are having a work slow down. Damn those guys.
How does that work?  They're flying at 250 mph instead of 500?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2012, 09:57:40 AM
How does that work?  They're flying at 250 mph instead of 500?

They just take their time doing everything, make sure every maintenance issue is addressed even if not critical to the flight, etc. When you remember the planes and crews are turned over as quickly as possible, if many flights in the early morning are a bit late, you start getting major delays in the afternoon and chaos in the evening.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on September 19, 2012, 10:04:33 AM
They just take their time doing everything, make sure every maintenance issue is addressed even if not critical to the flight, etc. When you remember the planes and crews are turned over as quickly as possible, if many flights in the early morning are a bit late, you start getting major delays in the afternoon and chaos in the evening.

Those bastards. :mad:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: sbr on September 19, 2012, 12:25:56 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 19, 2012, 10:04:33 AM

Those bastards. :mad:
at least it gives them time to sober up
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

sbr

I couldn't decide if this deserved its own thread or not.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/a-856468.html

QuotePirate Party Member Insists on Copyright for Book
Encouraging free sharing of files on the Internet, including copyrighted material, is an official platform of Germany's Pirate Party. This week, however, a senior member of the party has been policing illegal downloads of a book she published through a subsidiary of Random House. Will the party continue to promote its "information must be free" line?

Politicians within Germany's Pirate Party have long stated that they advocate the free exchange of information on the Internet -- a virtual Wild West in which anyone can copy anything without any regard for copyright or other bothersome concerns. The fact that the free exchange of copyrighted material for "non-commercial" uses is actually an official Pirate platform even triggered a major debate in Germany about government policies on intellectual property earlier this year. The party has stated that free-of-charge downloads should be "explicitly" supported. Julia Schramm, a member of the Pirate Party's executive committee, once even deemed the idea of intellectual property "disgusting" in a podcast.

Now, however, Schramm appears to be backtracking on her party's limited interpretation of intellectual property rights -- at least when it comes to protecting her own work.

When it came to publishing her new book "Click Me," Schramm's agent sought to hook a big fish -- and it succeeded. The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported that Munich's Albrecht Knaus Verlag, owned by Random House, ultimately sealed the deal, offering an advance of more than €100,000 ($131,010). In the tome, Schramm rails against capitalism and what she calls the "content mafia". Her publisher is also charging a pretty penny for the book, with a cover price for the hardback edition of €16.99 and €13.99 for the e-book.

Lawyers Go After File-Sharing Site

But on Monday, the book's official release date, illegal copies could still be found circulating on the Internet. Unidentified parties uploaded a PDF version of the book to an Internet file-sharing service and then spread the link on social media platforms like Twitter and Tumblr, along with information about the Pirate Party's platform -- including its proviso that information should be free.

The publisher immediately engaged its legal department and contacted the operator of the file-sharing service. By late Monday evening, the file could no longer be accessed at the original address. Instead, visitors to the link were informed:

"This file is no longer available due to a takedown request under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by Julia Schramm Autorin der Verlagsgruppe Random House."

The file-sharing site had removed the illegal download on behalf of the Pirate Party author.