Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 25, 2012, 05:27:28 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 25, 2012, 05:23:52 PM
@Ed :thumbsup:

I almost went with Bibleman or Kirk Cameron. But Jon Lovitz doesn't get enough love.

It's true.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

During dull moments of a lunch meeting I was looking into the back alley, junkie watching. There a bearded fellow and a not unattractive but clearly tweaked out young lady were smoking stuff - meth or crack I guess. Some other sketched chick came by with a bottle of Bud. She threw it casually over her shoulder - easily clearing 15 feet in height - before it smashed on the ground. The other girl yelled at her, but they didn't get into a fight or anything. Neither did the two share with lady bottle-smasher.

Some construction worker went to use the dumpster they were fixing behind. They didn't care that he was looking at them from 10 feet away, they kept doing their thing.

Five minutes after they left what looked like a suburban mom in her 50s - nice trench coat, brooch on the lapel, short hair like moms in the 50s have, white bobby-socks in sensible black sneakers - came wandering down the alley. I guess she found her dealer on the street, because she met him back behind the dumpster, gave him a handful of fives in return for a few pills which she took immediately before they walked off in different directions. From where I sat she looked like the kind of woman you'd see at Ed's church or a party at CC's house or maybe even a friend of GF's mom or something, but here she was getting drugs in pretty much the shittiest ally in Vancouver (and possibly the country).

Then the meeting got a little more interesting and I stopped looking into the alley.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2012, 02:41:03 PM
I can't see the magic eye things either, but I can see this one.
]

Me too. I suck at those no matter how much I look.
This one though...even catching a glimpse and it is seriously moving
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 25, 2012, 05:27:28 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 25, 2012, 05:23:52 PM
@Ed :thumbsup:

I almost went with Bibleman or Kirk Cameron. But Jon Lovitz doesn't get enough love.

I love that sketch.  Also a Lovitz fan.  I kinda look like him.  I sound like another Jewish comedian, who's not as good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2012, 05:15:14 PM
Anyway, Beeb, it's not that I can't look this up on the Internet/l'Internet, it's that I need certed copies.  Excellent job paying attention. :P

Way to pay attention yourself!

CPIC does NOT make searches available online.  But it DOES give you the the one centralized, cross-Canada source for Criminal Records.  That is - if you're a cop.  Or if you can order cops around.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2012, 06:39:29 PM
During dull moments of a lunch meeting I was looking into the back alley, junkie watching. There a bearded fellow and a not unattractive but clearly tweaked out young lady were smoking stuff - meth or crack I guess. Some other sketched chick came by with a bottle of Bud. She threw it casually over her shoulder - easily clearing 15 feet in height - before it smashed on the ground. The other girl yelled at her, but they didn't get into a fight or anything. Neither did the two share with lady bottle-smasher.

Some construction worker went to use the dumpster they were fixing behind. They didn't care that he was looking at them from 10 feet away, they kept doing their thing.

Five minutes after they left what looked like a suburban mom in her 50s - nice trench coat, brooch on the lapel, short hair like moms in the 50s have, white bobby-socks in sensible black sneakers - came wandering down the alley. I guess she found her dealer on the street, because she met him back behind the dumpster, gave him a handful of fives in return for a few pills which she took immediately before they walked off in different directions. From where I sat she looked like the kind of woman you'd see at Ed's church or a party at CC's house or maybe even a friend of GF's mom or something, but here she was getting drugs in pretty much the shittiest ally in Vancouver (and possibly the country).

Then the meeting got a little more interesting and I stopped looking into the alley.

What is it about Vancouver and drug users? Serious question.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2012, 11:07:42 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2012, 05:15:14 PM
Anyway, Beeb, it's not that I can't look this up on the Internet/l'Internet, it's that I need certed copies.  Excellent job paying attention. :P

Way to pay attention yourself!

NO YOU'RE DRUNK
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on January 25, 2012, 11:12:36 PMWhat is it about Vancouver and drug users? Serious question.

I think there are a few things going on:

- as a port city it's been a traditional entry point for smuggled drugs. That's definitely the case with heroin, but possibly other drugs as well.
- in fact, I'm pretty sure Vancouver is well situated on several drug trading routes. As I understand it, a fair amount of the profits from BC weed exports gets ploughed into importing other drugs for the Canadian market through Vancouver.

This means the price is probably lower here than in many other places, due to supply.

- Due to climate, it's a pretty attractive place for homeless people. Making it through a Vancouver winter without a roof over your head is less harrowing than doing so in, say Winnipeg or Montreal. We seem to have a lot of addicts in the streets from other provinces.
- I expect that the fairly relaxed enforcement (I believe it is, I don't know for a fact) helps attract drug users from elsewhere as well.
- I think the various drug-permissive subcultures, from weed smoking hippies to raver parties have in general hit the West Coast a little earlier and found more fertile ground here than back East (except perhaps yuppie coke use; we have that here, but that's pretty rampant further East as well as I understand it).

That's my best guess anyhow.

Grey Fox

Your GF's mom or my mom?

Cause my mom's kinda of a rebel.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2012, 06:57:29 AM
Your GF's mom or my mom?

Cause my mom's kinda of a rebel.

GF's mom is your mom.

Razgovory

A third mouse has been killed.  The pace quickens...

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 25, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
A woman asked me today "How open is your marriage?".

I was a bit boggled at first but recovered quickly. Just seems like a strange thing to ask. But I guess times keep on changing.
:secret: She was hitting on you, idiot.