And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Secondary: not very good so far

Valmy

I think your Michigan bias was coming through grumbles, these guys look every bit as good as I thought they were. Texas is completely over-matched.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 05, 2015, 07:14:12 PM
Secondary: not very good so far

But compared to the offensive line they are all Thorpe candidates.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
But compared to the offensive line they are all Thorpe candidates.

Those last two plays were pretty incredible.  They didn't even come close to blocking 3 of the 4 guys coming in.  Just straight shots to Heard, who had absolutely no chance.

E:  Hey, at least he didn't fumble.  Progress!

Valmy

You just knew he was going to miss it the third time. What a game.

MadBurgerMaker

Should have faked it on the third one.  See what kind of arm the holder has.  :D

Valmy

Texas scored! Man that has not happened since...um...Thanksgiving I think.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on September 05, 2015, 04:38:27 PM
Berkut, do you have an actual crew of your own this year, or are things still a mess like last year?

I have half a crew of my own.

Kind of debating how much longer I want to do this, to be honest.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Pfft.  I switched back to the Horns game long enough to see some sort of jump pass TD for ND just now.  I like the stat they were showing about the offenses.  3.1 yards per play and 121 total yards?  Yeah that's not going to get anything done at all. 

Looking at the stats, the Texas O has 5 first downs.  5.  1 from a penalty (facemask after a 15 yard loss).  2 of those were from the 4 or 5 plays when Heard was in before he got what looked like a concussion.  Swoopes has played nearly the whole game and has accounted for 2 first downs.  The OL is not good, but Swoopes is even worse.

Time of possession: 30:50 vs 18:15. 

Valmy

It has gone exactly like I thought it would. Notre Dame is strong on both lines. Veterans all over the place. Texas was inferior at every position. Texas had no chance.

MadBurgerMaker

They had a chance, but it requires an offense than can stay on the field at least a little.  When the QB can't throw, can't run, and can't read the DE on a read option, it doesn't matter how good anyone else is because the ball won't go to them.  The offense going three and out nearly every time they get the ball leads to the D being on the field all freaking day.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 05, 2015, 09:41:42 PM
They had a chance, but it requires an offense than can stay on the field at least a little.  When the QB can't throw, can't run, and can't read the DE on a read option, it doesn't matter how good anyone else is because the ball won't go to them.

And an offensive line that can block. But Texas lacks those things. But the Notre Dame offensive line is amazing, the defense was going to struggle as well.

This was a horrible match-up for Texas.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2015, 09:42:46 PM
And an offensive line that can block. But Texas lacks those things. But the Notre Dame offensive line is amazing, the defense was going to struggle as well.

This was a horrible match-up for Texas.

The OL wasn't a turnstyle the entire game (E: at least not the part that I watched.  Watching Alabama and Wisconsin right now).  Even when they blocked, the play didn't go anywhere most of the time because the read was wrong or the pass was missed.   Most of those 121 yards were on two plays.  The screen to Daje Johnson, and the long pass at the end of the half that got over the double coverage (!).  Seriously, those were like 80 yards total. It's telling that when Heard was in and made the correct read, they gained positive yardage and moved the sticks.  He also managed to complete his only pass. 

I don't understand why Swoopes doesn't keep the ball even when there's nothing but empty space in front of him because the DE is crashing in.  I mean I do understand: it's because he is just not a good QB, but damn.  I wonder if Strong and will consider burning Locksley's redshirt or seeing if Holtz or someone can run the read if Heard is hurt.  Or if he'll just roll with Swoopes all the way back to a DC spot somewhere.

PDH

:( Wyoming and Texas need to form the Big Two.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 05, 2015, 09:45:35 PM

The OL wasn't a turnstyle the entire game

Sometimes it was merely bad. A few times it stood up and achieved mediocrity, but those were brief moments of glory.