News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ok, we are now all old farts...but 'fess up

Started by PDH, February 08, 2015, 07:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Could you open up pm'ing to nonregistrados, and tell people on the home page to pm one of the mucky mucks a request for membership?

Admiral Yi

And I'm curious, if you know the answer, of how the few spambots who managed to breach the defenses did so.

mongers

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 09, 2015, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 09, 2015, 03:34:36 PM
43 and getting younger.

By the way, why is it that we have no new people?
What is the market dynamic that keeps people away from massively joining Languish and making this a success equal to Facebook?

We suffer from the monopolistic over-regulatory tyranny of vM.  New people cannot join even if they want to I think....not that many want to.  Our marketing leaves something to be desired.

I need to work on that.  Last time I opened up registration we were getting 1000+ spambot registrations per day, completely burying the trickle of legit registrations.  I have not devised a good way to handle this.

vM, I think that's a side issue; what stops new people registering is it's unique ambiance/ethos as others in the thread have mentioned.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2015, 06:55:59 PM
And I'm curious, if you know the answer, of how the few spambots who managed to breach the defenses did so.

Those were my friends, damn it.  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 09, 2015, 03:42:47 PM
I'm not sure this forum would make much sense to an outsider now  :hmm:

Yeah, it was hard enough to catch up with all the inside jokes in 2005. Must be impossible by now.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2015, 07:01:16 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 09, 2015, 03:42:47 PM
I'm not sure this forum would make much sense to an outsider now  :hmm:

Yeah, it was hard enough to catch up with all the inside jokes in 2005. Must be impossible by now.

Isn't this a metaphor for Life as a whole/hole? 

Archy

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 09, 2015, 03:55:22 PM
Languish is dying :(.
Aren't we all? I'm curious who'll pull the plug and when. Sic transit gloria mundi.

mongers

Quote from: Archy on February 09, 2015, 07:19:33 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 09, 2015, 03:55:22 PM
Languish is dying :(.
Aren't we all? I'm curious who'll pull the plug and when. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Hence why we need to put the 'Languish server' in a tall black box and launch it into space.  :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 09, 2015, 03:34:36 PM
43 and getting younger.

By the way, why is it that we have no new people?
What is the market dynamic that keeps people away from massively joining Languish and making this a success equal to Facebook?

We suffer from the monopolistic over-regulatory tyranny of vM.  New people cannot join even if they want to I think....not that many want to.  Our marketing leaves something to be desired.

I need to work on that.  Last time I opened up registration we were getting 1000+ spambot registrations per day, completely burying the trickle of legit registrations.  I have not devised a good way to handle this.

Is it possible to put in one those "captcha" things a lot of sites use?  Or has the Borg adapted to that defense already?

alfred russel

I vote we let them all register. We could use new blood around here, and who knows some of the spambots might be interesting. 

Embrace the singularity; it is our future.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

We don't need more random "preved" posts from Russian bots.

MadImmortalMan

I'm old enough that most of my dates to high school dances requested "Eternal Flame" and dedicated it to me. That happened at least three times, maybe four.

I secretly love that song. Don't tell.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

By the way, whatever happened to the remaining female Languishites?  :(

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2015, 05:55:23 PM
By the way, whatever happened to the remaining female Languishites?  :(

Would you hang around here if you were female??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall