Total Members Voted: 64

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2014, 10:58:13 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 19, 2014, 10:26:34 AM
Quote from: Grallon on September 19, 2014, 08:16:23 AMIndeed.  And from what I can read here, now that the panic over a possible Yes has dissipated, I daresay the Brits will renegade on their promises... As I had predicted.  That's how human nature works: you are afraid and if the fear doesn't materialize you want revenge on whoever induced the fear in the first place.  Witness the 'toy parliament' argument above.  The Scots will soon rue their choice.

Well yes, obviously there will have to be clearances with regards to Glasgow, so that the land can be more efficiently used for sheep farming.

I liked my idea of a limited nuclear strike better.

Your idea. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2014, 01:09:34 PM
Because federalism is crazy when one state is bigger than all the others combined five times over.

Please elaborate.

Barrister

So Salmond is resigning?  I'm quite surprised at that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2014, 12:32:31 PM
Local government is good idea no matter the forms.

Sadly that hasn't proven the case.  See American South 1876-1964.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 12:52:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2014, 12:31:19 PM
Yes.
England broken up into 5 or 6 bits gives a more comparable size to the other nations.

Why do they need to be a comparable size?

There's a point to that.  A mix of federal and unitary doesn't quite work.  Either go one way or the other.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2014, 01:13:57 PM
:whistle:

That 'map' make no sense, what does someone in Oxfordshire or Berkshire have more in common with a Cornishman, as opposed to elsewhere in the UK?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2014, 02:34:15 PM
There's a point to that.  A mix of federal and unitary doesn't quite work.  Either go one way or the other.

Squeeze's comment was made in the context of a discussion about federal "states," including England (or portions of England) handling local matters while a unitary government handles higher level matters.

The main argument against different size states in the US is that senators from small states have disproportionate power; that would not be an issue in the UK, with its unelected upper house.

Viking

having not followed the debate, given that it is about identity rather than actual politics... I did have a look at what the debate looked like when the "yes" camp started surging in the polls.. and holy mother of flying spaghetti monster, the Yes people are idiots. Seriously their argument in all cases about what would happen after independence was basically "don't worry it will be fine" simultaneously campaigning on ending tory rule and asserting that the tories would be perfectly reasonable and pro-scottish in dealing with them when they couldn't even theoretically get their votes.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2014, 03:11:08 PM
having not followed the debate, given that it is about identity rather than actual politics... I did have a look at what the debate looked like when the "yes" camp started surging in the polls.. and holy mother of flying spaghetti monster, the Yes people are idiots. Seriously their argument in all cases about what would happen after independence was basically "don't worry it will be fine" simultaneously campaigning on ending tory rule and asserting that the tories would be perfectly reasonable and pro-scottish in dealing with them when they couldn't even theoretically get their votes.

So you're saying it's not about identity rather than actual politics. It's completely about politics.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2014, 03:11:08 PM

Lots of nats seem to be taking victory from the fact 45% said yes.
I do wonder though. If this vote had taken place in 3 or 4 years time under a labour government...how much smaller would that percentage be? Quite a lot I do imagine.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Even so, it's worryingly high.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2014, 02:34:15 PM

Squeeze's comment was made in the context of a discussion about federal "states," including England (or portions of England) handling local matters while a unitary government handles higher level matters.

The main argument against different size states in the US is that senators from small states have disproportionate power; that would not be an issue in the UK, with its unelected upper house.

You mean the house of Lords?  They don't actually do anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2014, 01:09:34 PM
Because federalism is crazy when one state is bigger than all the others combined five times over.

Please elaborate.

He's right. Federalism is not generally considered suitable where one state is significantly preponderant over others without any balance. The US has 50 states of varying size; the UK would have one state of 50 million with three other states of 5 million or fewer.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on September 19, 2014, 05:32:07 PM
He's right. Federalism is not generally considered suitable where one state is significantly preponderant over others without any balance. The US has 50 states of varying size; the UK would have one state of 50 million with three other states of 5 million or fewer.

With all due respect, this is just a restatement of the assertion.

*Why* does it matter?