Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

If I was Ukranian I think I would feel humilliated, I'm the one getting screwed over what consists on a lashing against the whole western system, without even being part of it.

Syt

This speech feels like a rather angry ramble, much less calculated and deliberate than he usually presents himself. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign. Or just an act? Who knows anymore. Maybe he doesn't either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Finally coming back to the separatists, praising them as standing up to the "stone age nationalism" of the 2014 "coup" in Ukraine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2022, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2022, 02:11:56 PMWhy would you think they are safe?
Because they're in NATO and benefits from a mutual defence pact with the US.

So? That might stop Russia from straight up invading, but won't stop "separatists" from trying to break them away.

QuoteI don't think there is any doubt that if this is allowed to stand, there will be another to follow.
Probably Moldova. Or provocations in the West Balkans.
[/quote]

It'll be whatever he feels like.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2022, 02:31:46 PMI wonder, though, if there's sanctions put in place to cut the oligarchs off from their wealth and privileges in the West, would that destroy his power base?
He's spent the last decade telling oligarchs to re-patriate their assets. His support base is securocrats around him. I thtink there's a reason some of his first big actions as President was taking on a couple of symbolic oligarchs - to re-assert state control and make clear that he was in charge.

If they're cut off from their wealth, I imagine he'd push back and say they made a choice to keep it in enemy jurisdictions (and Russia's been clear they view NATO as the enemy for the last 10-15 years) and, anyway, why didn't they follow his directives to re-patriate wealth.

I think there's zero chance sanctioning him and those around him would make an impact on policy (it maybe would have in the 2000s).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote"Russia has done everything to ensure Ukraine retained its territorial integrity,"

If he said that with a straight face he should be given an Oscar.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on February 21, 2022, 02:18:40 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2022, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2022, 02:11:56 PMWhy would you think they are safe?
Because they're in NATO and benefits from a mutual defence pact with the US.

QuoteI don't think there is any doubt that if this is allowed to stand, there will be another to follow.
Probably Moldova. Or provocations in the West Balkans.

My impression is that many people in NATO would grasp at fig leaves to avoid going to war against Russia over "local ethnic Russian self defense forces fighting to stop an ongoing genocide against the oppressed Russian populations of the Baltic countries". Bernie will remind people of the "complex history".

And woe to anyone who doesn't give full weight and credence to that "complex history"!!!

0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2022, 02:36:24 PMSo? That might stop Russia from straight up invading, but won't stop "separatists" from trying to break them away.
Maybe but I think Russian support would be far more subtle and limited in a NATO country. I think NATO still matters.

It's why I say we should be strengthening it especially in the Baltics because I absolutely agree they could be a target and it's really important we all make it clear that they are core parts of NATO and the EU with all that entails.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

And they're having a signing ceremony for friendship, mutual aid and operations agreement with Putin and his two muppets.

And it looks like the three are wearing the same suit and tie? Which looks really weird. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Speech over. Independence recognised, peacekeeping forces will be sent in, if Ukraine continues their attacks, they'll be responsible for what happens.

Syt

Putin is 69. Is he starting to feel the pinch of age and worrying that he might run out of time to restore his gang Mother Russia to to her rightful place in the world?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2022, 02:40:30 PM
Speech over. Independence recognised, peacekeeping forces will be sent in, if Ukraine continues their attacks, they'll be responsible for what happens.
So next Russia will claim Ukrain is attacking those independent areas - including innocent Russian peacekeepers - probably with NATO assistance and they need to deal with the rogue regime in Kyiv?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2022, 02:40:09 PM
And they're having a signing ceremony for friendship, mutual aid and operations agreement with Putin and his two muppets.

And it looks like the three are wearing the same suit and tie? Which looks really weird. :D

How dissappointed the DPR and LPR guys would be if, after enduring the whole meeting and ceremony Putin decided not to recognize them after all.  :P

Berkut

0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2022, 02:42:24 PM
Putin is 69. Is he starting to feel the pinch of age and worrying that he might run out of time to restore his gang Mother Russia to to her rightful place in the world?
At the start of this that was Mark Galeotti's theory for why he would invade Ukraine (which he didn't think was likely). Putin's running out of time, Russia's running out of time, there's growing internal opposition/dissatisfaction. Restoring Ukraine to its rightful place within Russia changes the history books about Putin from the guy who took over, stabilised things and then let them drift. He'd be a truly historic figure - and this is a pretty terrifying example of how much a "great man" can matter.
Let's bomb Russia!