News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: KRonn on December 29, 2014, 02:21:00 PM
Sad what it's coming to in NYC. The NYPD are one of the best, if not the best, police forces in the country. They and under former mayors have cut crime way, way down. It was hell on earth there up until about twenty years ago. They did so well that other cities, including here in Boston, copied much of what NYC did. NYC has also beceome very good at anti-terror enforcement.

I've come across claims that the drop in crime rates was primarily down to trends beyond the police's control - changes in demographics and changes in the economy primarily.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2014, 02:10:42 PM
A work slowdown and responding with two cars, or responding with cars is the work slowdown?
Both.  They're essentially not enforcing any minor laws, and one way they're doing it is by responding with excessive number of cars as per union instructions.  When you respond with excessive number of cars, it means that you can respond to fewer calls in an adequate manner, which means that you have to triage the calls you do respond to.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2014, 02:25:22 PM
A work slowdown and responding with two cars, or responding with cars is the work slowdown?

Responding with two cars is a safety precaution, so they don't get assassinated on calls.
Or it's union-driven bullshit, under the guise of "safety precaution".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2014, 02:29:10 PM

Well...yeah.  Kinda thought that was obvious. 

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on December 29, 2014, 02:27:19 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 29, 2014, 02:21:00 PM
Sad what it's coming to in NYC. The NYPD are one of the best, if not the best, police forces in the country. They and under former mayors have cut crime way, way down. It was hell on earth there up until about twenty years ago. They did so well that other cities, including here in Boston, copied much of what NYC did. NYC has also beceome very good at anti-terror enforcement.

I've come across claims that the drop in crime rates was primarily down to trends beyond the police's control - changes in demographics and changes in the economy primarily.

I'm sure there were several factors that helped bring the crime rate down. NYC is a huge and tough city for crime, like any large US city, so it's a tough place for policing. And the police force is about 50% minority, maybe more, which I didn't realize, figuring it was heavily white given all the stuff said by the protesters.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2014, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2014, 02:29:10 PM

Well...yeah.  Kinda thought that was obvious.
:blush:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

Responding with two cars is a safety precaution, so they don't get assassinated on calls.

:yes: Saw that once on Rookie Blue when they had a guy sniping cops.

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Wow...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mayor-bill-de-blasio-gets-cheers-and-boos-at-nypd-graduation/

QuoteMayor Bill de Blasio gets some boos at NYPD graduation

Mayor Bill de Blasio faced applause, boos and catcalls when he took the stage Monday to address hundreds of new police recruits at a police graduation ceremony.

The mayor spoke at a fraught point in his relationship with the NYPD. The graduation comes two days after hundreds of officers turned their backs to a video monitor as they watched de Blasio eulogize Officer Rafael Ramos at his funeral in Queens. It was the second time officers had done so since the slaying of two NYPD cops.

When introduced at the graduation ceremony, many in the crowd could be heard booing the mayor, reports CBS New York. Others cheered and applauded.

"Let's be honest about the realities of our society," de Blasio told the graduating class of more than 800 new officers. "You'll confront all the problems that plague our society, problems that you didn't create."

Immediately after the mayor made that remark, someone from the crowd yelled, "You did!" to a round of applause.

The mayor also addressed the killings of Ramos and his partner, Wenjian Liu.

"We lost two peacemakers nine days ago," he said. "They will not be forgotten -- they must not be forgotten."

Tensions have been running high between DeBlasio and some of the city's police officers since Ramos andLiu were shot and killed in their patrol car earlier this month. Police union officials blamed DeBlasio for their deaths, in part because of his public support for people protesting grand jury decisions not to indict police officers who had killed two black men, Michael Brown and Eric Garner.

After the officers' deaths, the gunman, Ismaaiyl Brinsley killed himself.

In online posts prior to the attack, Brinsley said that their deaths would be in retaliation for police killings.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Oh yeah, it's going to be like this for a while.

QuoteLynch also encouraged officers to sign an affidavit saying that in the event they're killed in the line of duty, they do not want the mayor at their funeral or wake, a letter that has been criticized by the mayor, NYPD Commissioner and even Timothy Cardinal Dolan.

"If they're not going to support us when we need 'em, we'll embarrass them when we can," he said.

On the recording, Lynch also says of de Blasio, "He is not running the city of New York. He thinks he's running a fucking revolution."

The delegates applauded and cheered.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2014/12/8558814/private-meeting-union-head-tells-officers-use-extreme-discretion

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Sheilbh

Again I don't really see the problem with the heckling. However I think the whole situation is indicative that de Blasio needs to get booed a lot more and really take them on.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2014, 07:25:42 PM
Again I don't really see the problem with the heckling. However I think the whole situation is indicative that de Blasio needs to get booed a lot more and really take them on.
You don't think there is a problem with police force openly rebelling against the city government?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2014, 07:38:56 PM
You don't think there is a problem with police force openly rebelling against the city government?

That hasn't happened.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?