Shootings at debate with cartoonist in Copenhagen

Started by Liep, February 14, 2015, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2015, 10:06:16 PM
Well, if he's served his sentence what are you supposed to do? Keep him indefinitely?

I thought he was released early.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Jacob

Quote from: Ancient Demon on February 16, 2015, 05:46:31 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2015, 10:06:16 PM
Well, if he's served his sentence what are you supposed to do? Keep him indefinitely?

I thought he was released early.

Yeah, I was wrong, he did not serve his sentence.

He stabbed someone in late 2013. A few months later, in early 2014, he was picked up for some other issue - he seems to be somewhat thuggish, involved in street crime and peripherally in the hash trade - and was recognized for the attack. 

He was initially charged with attempted murder, and in 2014 he was found not guilty. Instead he was found guilty of aggravated assault, and given a prison sentence of two years and two months. I'm not sure if he had been incarcerated since he was initially arrested, but in early 2015 he appealed his sentence to a higher court and as a result was released.

So he hadn't served his sentence, like I assumed. But he wasn't released early either, he was released pending the result of his appeal it seems.

However, contrary to what Sheilbh read, I have not seen him referred to as being designated "extremely dangerous". As far as I can tell, the court system had him pegged as a minor criminal thug.

From his history, it seemed was a short fuse kind of guy who got into fist fights at bars; he felt strongly about Palestine ("not being afraid to admit he hated Jews" as it was reported); and got into crime, smoking and dealing hash as well as - it appears - some petty property theft. He had a prior record for violence (the fist fights etc, he was into Muay Thai for a while), and weapon offences (carrying brass knuckles and a knife at some point). Apparently he started associating with some gang members (this was before the arrest), but after a few weeks they kicked him out.

mongers

Not sure of the importance of what's going on here, any friendly Danes like to explain:

QuoteReuters / Monday, February 16, 2015
People who knew the gunman remove flowers laid at the place where he was killed by police, on Svanevej Street in Copenhagen, Denmark February 16, 2015. The 22-year-old gunman opened fire on a cafe in Copenhagen hosting a free speech debate on Saturday, killing one, and attacked a synagogue, killing a guard. The man was later shot dead by police in his neighborhood of Norrebro, a poor and largely immigrant part of the city with a reputation for gang violence. REUTERS/Jens Astrup/Scanpix
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Some people put flowers where the killer was shot by police.

Now other people are removing them, presumably because they don't think he deserves to have a public display of flowers.

Legbiter

It's insulting to Islam and him as a holy warrior to have flowers placed where he got moderated. Smacks of idolatry.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 07:37:11 PM
Some people put flowers where the killer was shot by police.

Now other people are removing them, presumably because they don't think he deserves to have a public display of flowers.

Thanks, not entirely clear from the caption so I thought I'd check.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2015, 06:21:59 PM
From his history, it seemed was a short fuse kind of guy who got into fist fights at bars; he felt strongly about Palestine ("not being afraid to admit he hated Jews" as it was reported); and got into crime, smoking and dealing hash as well as - it appears - some petty property theft. He had a prior record for violence (the fist fights etc, he was into Muay Thai for a while), and weapon offences (carrying brass knuckles and a knife at some point). Apparently he started associating with some gang members (this was before the arrest), but after a few weeks they kicked him out.
Yep. Again I think these are the sort of recurring features in Westerners who end up doing things like this or going to Syria.
Let's bomb Russia!