Shootings at debate with cartoonist in Copenhagen

Started by Liep, February 14, 2015, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Several shots was fired at Krudttønden where a debate with cartoonist Lars Vilks was held. 30-40 rounds apparently and at least on police officer hit.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/reports-shots-fired-copenhagen-cafe-free-speech-event-28967589
QuoteDanish media say several shots have been fired at a cafe in Copenhagen where a meeting about freedom of speech was being held, organized by Swedish artist Lars Vilks, who has faced numerous threats for caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad in 2007.

The TV2 channel said Saturday there were some 30 bullet holes in the window of the Krudttoenden cafe and said at least two people were taken away on stretchers, including a uniformed police officer.

Helle Merete Brix, one of the organizers of the event, told The Associated Press that Vilks was present at the event but not injured. When the artist is in Denmark, he receives police protection.

The cafe in northern Copenhagen, known for its jazz concerts, was hosting an event titled "Art, blasphemy and the freedom of expression" when the shots were fired.

Niels Ivar Larsen, one of the speakers at the event, told the TV2 channel that he saw two wounded people.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Lars Vilks is swedish and has drawn Muhammad cartoons. The debate was on "Freedom of Expression".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

This just popped up on CNN, they reported 3 policemen shot and wounded.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Whatever the outcome we can't allow these nutters in our midst to terrorise us one iota; carrying on with normal life will eventually defeat IS/ISIL.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

2 shooters and they're still at large. 3 policemen shot, 1 guest, no fatalities. Neither the French ambassador or Lars Vilks has been hit.

Liep

Liep

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2015, 11:15:05 AM
Whatever the outcome we can't allow these nutters in our midst to terrorise us one iota; carrying on with normal life will eventually defeat IS/ISIL.

That ship sailed long ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

schaksen

It's not nice when a thing like that happens in my childhood neighborhood.

It's semi-ironic that the venue is called "the powderkeg"
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Sheilbh

Incredible tweet from the French ambassador as this was all going on:
QuoteFrankrigs ambassadør Verified account
‏@francedk
Still alive in the room
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

From what I understand they actually finished the debate before being evacuated.

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on February 14, 2015, 01:17:22 PM
From what I understand they actually finished the debate before being evacuated.
What was their conclusion?  "Fears of backlash are overblown"?