Shootings at debate with cartoonist in Copenhagen

Started by Liep, February 14, 2015, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on February 14, 2015, 10:53:29 AM
Several shots was fired at Krudttønden where a debate with cartoonist Lars Vilks was held. 30-40 rounds apparently and at least on police officer hit.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/reports-shots-fired-copenhagen-cafe-free-speech-event-28967589

Well, danish gun control seems effective. The use of an old Krag riflie is far less damaging than an assault rifle.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Also, the Small Country Syndrome has kicked in:

"CNN. BBC. Miami Herald. The Telegraph. The Guardian. Huffington Post. Reuters. Al Jazeera. MSNBC. ABC News. Just some of the outlets that has terror in Denmark as headline" writes a proud Danish newspaper.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Description from the police of one of the gunmen: "Arabic looking, but lighter than normal, with smooth black hair".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Children's Eurovision out trends the Danish hashtag for the shooting. Well done, Denmark, well done.

garbon

Not sure what your stance is from that post but I think it is a good thing if we don't sensationalize these events too much.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2015, 03:12:55 PM
Not sure what your stance is from that post but I think it is a good thing if we don't sensationalize these events too much.

I applaud it, the newspapers are running mad speculating while the Danes go about their business watching kids have fun.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I'm conflicted. I can't decide which is more important - whipping the general public into an anti-muslim frenzy or recruiting the young into the homosexual lifestyle.  :hmm:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on February 14, 2015, 04:44:33 PM
I'm conflicted. I can't decide which is more important - whipping the general public into an anti-muslim frenzy or recruiting the young into the homosexual lifestyle.  :hmm:

the first. once that problem is solved the gay community will have one less fear to worry about.

mongers

On this bbc news page there's a link to audio of the attack as it started, very dramatic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31472423

To my uneducated hear it sounds close and more deliberate shooting, not just some guy with an ak47 praying and spraying
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 14, 2015, 04:44:33 PM

You know, that shaming thread gave me some ideas...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

More shootings, this time at a synagogue in the central part of town. Two policemen hit and one person is shot in the head.

Fuck.

Admiral Yi

Everything will be fine as long as you go about your normal daily routine.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2015, 08:13:26 PM
Everything will be fine as long as you go about your normal daily routine.

The normal routine on a saturday involves several thousands extremely drunk people in the central part of town! But I've heard that you have a better chance of surviving a gunshot if drunk, so no problem.

mongers

Maybe the presence of the armed police at the cartoon debate stopped a massacre.

I wonder if some of the firing recorded was them and/or the Swedish cartoonists bodyguard returning fire?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"