News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-mayor-dropping-stop-frisk-appeal-163455505.html

QuoteNew York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration filed court papers Thursday seeking to drop an appeal of a judge's decision ordering major reforms to the police department's stop-and-frisk policy.

The papers filed in the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan said the city was seeking to return the case to a lower court for 45 days "for the purpose of exploring a full resolution."

A judge ruled last year that the New York Police Department had discriminated against blacks and Hispanics with how it went about stopping, questioning and sometimes frisking people on the street. The judge ordered major reforms to the department's implementation of the policy.

Then-Mayor Michael Bloomberg appealed the decision. But de Blasio, who took office at the beginning of the year, is now seeking to drop the appeal.

Bloomberg was a staunch advocate of the policy and his administration appealed the decision. Stops had soared under his 12-year tenure to more than 5 million in the past decade, mostly of black and Hispanic men. About 10 percent of the stops result in arrests or summonses, and weapons were found about 2 percent of the time.

Four men sued the department in 2008, saying they were unfairly targeted because of their race. U.S. District Court Judge Shira Scheindlin presided over a 10-week bench trial where she heard testimony from a dozen New Yorkers who said they were wrongly stopped. She agreed and imposed a court-appointed monitor to oversee reforms, but her ruling has been on hold pending the appeal.

The federal appeals court also took the unusual step of removing Scheindlin from the case, saying she misapplied a related ruling that allowed her to take it to begin with and had spoken inappropriately publically about the case.

De Blasio and his new police commissioner, William Bratton, have said the policy has created a rift among New Yorkers who don't trust police, and it's made morale low for officers who should be praised for stellar efforts reducing crime to record lows.

The stop-and-frisk tactic itself was not ruled unconstitutional; rather the way the department was using it violated civil rights, the judge said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

There was a Die Hard movie on TV recently. Black New Yorkers were portrayed as murderous thugs who don't care for free speech.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2014, 01:03:01 PM
There was a Die Hard movie on TV recently. Black New Yorkers were portrayed as murderous thugs who don't care for free speech.

:D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2014, 01:01:49 PM
:thumbsdown:

OK . . .
Now without looking at Scheindlin's ruling, tell me which of the remedial measures you oppose and why?

;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 30, 2014, 01:14:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2014, 01:01:49 PM
:thumbsdown:

OK . . .
Now without looking at Scheindlin's ruling, tell me which of the remedial measures you oppose and why?

;)

My complaint is actually this:

A trial level decision is fine, but doesn't have precedential value for subsequent courts.  Thus, the legality of "stop and frisk" is still very much in the air.

An Appellate level decision would, however, be binding on lower courts.  It would more clearly establish what is and is not permissible.

:contract:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2014, 01:20:29 PM
My complaint is actually this:

A trial level decision is fine, but doesn't have precedential value for subsequent courts.  Thus, the legality of "stop and frisk" is still very much in the air.

An Appellate level decision would, however, be binding on lower courts.  It would more clearly establish what is and is not permissible.

:contract:

I don't think the legality of stop of frisk is up in the air.  There are already a LOT of US Supreme Court cases addressing the issue that describe in considerable level of detail when law enforcement may stop and search a person and when not.  the main thrust of the remedial order is to direct NYPD to apply this existing doctrine.

While it is possible that a decision on appeal would add incremental detail to this body of law within the limited confines of the states of New York, Connecticut and Vermont, it isn't really the job of the mayor of New York to fill the pages of law review articles, rather to run his city agencies in the most effective and lawful manner he can.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Yeah Beeb, stop trying to impose your draconian Canadian laws on us!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 30, 2014, 04:11:43 PM
Yeah Beeb, stop trying to impose your draconian Canadian laws on us!

Back off you hoser. :mad:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

garbon

I don't know. Unlike Obama, at least de Blasio is sticking to some of the positions he espoused while campaigning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 07:14:20 PM
I don't know. Unlike Obama, at least de Blasio is sticking to some of the positions he espoused while campaigning.

ORLY?  A dead Bin Laden and the end of two wars isn't sticking to positions?  Hater.

garbon

CountDeMoney