News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2014, 07:17:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 07:14:20 PM
I don't know. Unlike Obama, at least de Blasio is sticking to some of the positions he espoused while campaigning.

ORLY?  A dead Bin Laden and the end of two wars isn't sticking to positions?  Hater.

Can't believe he brought up Gitmo the other night :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2014, 10:12:42 PM
Can't believe he brought up Gitmo the other night :lol:

:huh: I thought he tried to close it and got cock-blocked by Congress.
Experience bij!

garbon

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/04/de-blasio-wont-march-in-st-patricks-day-parade/

QuoteNew York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says he won't be marching in the city's St. Patrick's Day parade.

De Blasio says he won't partake in the parade along Fifth Avenue because of organizers' refusal to allow participants to carry gay-pride signs.

"I will be participating in a number of other events to honor the Irish heritage of this city and the contributions of Irish Americans, but I simply disagree with the organizers of that parade in their exclusion of some individuals in this city," he said.

Former mayor Michael Bloomberg always marched. De Blasio also did not march while public advocate.

Its organizers say gay people are welcome to march, but they say signs celebrating being gay would detract from the parade's focus on honoring Irish heritage.

The mayor says he won't heed activists' call to ban city workers from marching while wearing their uniforms.

"I respect the right of our city workers to march in uniform, period," de Blasio said.

The parade is a tradition that predates the city itself. Organizers predict more than 1 million people will attend on March 17.

I've always thought it ridiculous that the St. Patrick's Day parade hides behind the figleaf that it is a religious event. <_<

Quote from: commenterOne Term, peeps, one term. This is a religious affair, and there is no way the Irish could allow this and be reverent Catholics. The Church says sodomy is evil, case closed. smokersodysseycom
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

To be fair, rainbow doesn't go well with green.

garbon

I wonder what points the way to the pot of gold. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

It's not a religious event, it's a cultural event. 

Marching in the parade with a gay pride sign would be just as inappropriate as marching with an anti-abortion sign, or a gun rights sign, or whatever.

Valmy

The Gay Pride people let me carry my 'Kiss Me I'm Irish' sign. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2014, 12:57:09 PM
QuoteThe parade is a tradition that predates the city itself.

:huh:
Were there Irish Lenape or something?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2014, 05:22:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2014, 12:57:09 PM
QuoteThe parade is a tradition that predates the city itself.

:huh:
Were there Irish Lenape or something?

I'm sure they're talking about the formation of the modern City of New York.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

They only thing they could be referring to is the creation of the consolidated New York in 1898 but I was not aware New York did not exist before then.  Or maybe they mean parades in Ireland or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

The first parade pre-dates the Revolution and hence the USA.  That is probably what they meant.  Obviously it doesn't predate the city itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2014, 06:02:10 PM
The first parade pre-dates the Revolution and hence the USA.  That is probably what they meant.  Obviously it doesn't predate the city itself.

Maybe the first one took place when it was called New Amsterdam thus predating New York.

Ed Anger

I don't care for this new guy. Even more so when he dropped that groundhog.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2014, 06:13:04 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2014, 06:02:10 PM

Maybe the first one took place when it was called New Amsterdam thus predating New York.

Google suggests first was in 1762.