And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2014, 09:29:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2014, 09:16:38 PM
Okay. I wouldn't interpret the police taking offence at something (cue Viking) de Blasio said, as de Blasio insulting them. I'm surprised you would.

The distinction eludes me.
Really?  You don't see the difference between perception of offensiveness and actual presence of offensiveness?  I never figured you to be one of those people who subscribe to "perception is reality" theory when it comes to offensive remarks.

Razgovory

I never thought he'd be on the same side as a Union, but our little Yi still has surprises.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2014, 10:05:32 PM
I never thought he'd be on the same side as a Union, but our little Yi still has surprises.
Bratton was right the first time, before he fell on his balls while trying to straddle the fence.  It's a Democrat/Republican issue first and foremost even before Garner was choked, and cop unions have always been squarely in the Republican camp.  People with authoritarian mindsets and intolerance for nuanced thinking seem to always find a comfortable place there.

What we're seeing with de Blasio is pretty much what we saw with Obama:  white Republicans utterly lost their shit even before the object of their vitriolic hatred even had a chance to earn it.

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2014, 10:20:40 PM
People with authoritarian mindsets and intolerance for nuanced thinking seem to always find a comfortable place there.

And apparently on Languish.org;)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2014, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2014, 02:10:42 PM
A work slowdown and responding with two cars, or responding with cars is the work slowdown?
Both.  They're essentially not enforcing any minor laws, and one way they're doing it is by responding with excessive number of cars as per union instructions.  When you respond with excessive number of cars, it means that you can respond to fewer calls in an adequate manner, which means that you have to triage the calls you do respond to.
How the hell can the union get away with issuing these kinds of orders on a public safety issue?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2014, 11:16:35 PM
How the hell can the union get away with issuing these kinds of orders on a public safety issue?
Well, what are they going to do to it?

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2014, 09:07:52 PM

I thought it was an American phrase that had made it's way over here - but apparently it's very New Labour. My understanding is that it's a problem in the public sector that the institutions often end up serving the producers (teachers, doctors, police, firemen) rather than the consumers (children, the sick, the public in general).

Careful, or DGuller will lecture you on how they should serve the government, not the general public.

And Garbon, I did say "in theory". 

Quote from: jimmy olsenHow the hell can the union get away with issuing these kinds of orders on a public safety issue?

That kind of shit is what you get when you allow public employ unions. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2014, 11:25:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2014, 11:16:35 PM
Well, what are they going to do to it?
Fire the ring leaders.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: dps on December 30, 2014, 01:10:25 AM
And Garbon, I did say "in theory". 

I laughed as it seemed like a completely irrelevant...well I hesitate to even call it a point. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2014, 09:41:06 PM
Right, I thought I'd missed one :lol:

Was there another one? :unsure:

QuoteI don't think that qualifies as publicly insulting. If it does then we might as well just give up on the idea of public discourse because there's nothing left to say without causing offence.

If someone felt insulted by that I'd say they were a big girl's blouse and needed to stop being so bloody sensitive.

You don't find it insulting because presumably you've bought into the narrative that America's cops are engaging in arbitrary acts of violence against black men.

As a thought experiment, try to imagine this is not true.  Can you seen then how the mayor's statement can and should be perceived as an insult?

garbon

But it is just a true statement. I suppose one could take issue with the mayor saying it, when he did, but it seems bizarre to take an insult out of a statement about how parents worry / what they tell their non-white children.  (In fact, from re-reading the statement, he doesn't even seem to explicitly mention race in that section.)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 09:30:40 AMYou don't find it insulting because presumably you've bought into the narrative that America's cops are engaging in arbitrary acts of violence against black men.

As a thought experiment, try to imagine this is not true.  Can you seen then how the mayor's statement can and should be perceived as an insult?
That's not quite my narrative. But I don't find it insulting because it's not insulting. It's a very carefully and delicately phrased statement. I can't, no matter what imaginative leap I make, see how words that vanilla could insult anyone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2014, 09:48:33 AM
That's not quite my narrative. But I don't find it insulting because it's not insulting. It's a very carefully and delicately phrased statement. I can't, no matter what imaginative leap I make, see how words that vanilla could insult anyone.

Tone only gets you so far Shelf.

Sheilbh

The tone's inoffensive. The content's inoffensive. I don't know what else there is.

If you are hyper-sensitive, looking for outrage and a reason to take offence then I think you probably could, but that's about it. In my view it's People's Daily 'hurting the feelings of the Chinese people' level sensitivity.
Let's bomb Russia!