News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 31, 2014, 12:28:41 PM
It is my impression that a significant percentage of the Black population of the US is very wary of the police, to the point that law-abiding citizens of those demographics consider "don't ever call the cops under any circumstances" good practical advice, and that humiliation, profiling, and being killed are thought significant risks of interacting with the police. In other words, getting "the talk" (like the one deBlasio gave his son) about how to behave around police to minimize the risk of being killed when they target you due to your race is a pretty common feature of growing up a Black boy; and that it is a common sense response to the facts.

That's my impression, anyhow. Given that, I'm wondering if you think that:

1) That it is inaccurate, and most Black people in the US in fact do not think law-abiding Black men are being unfairly targeted by the police in a biased fashion, nor do they think they are at higher risk of injury and death while interacting with the police? (So deBlasio is misrepresenting how the Black community views the situation)

2) Most Black people in the US do in fact have those fears, but those fears are unfounded - law-abiding Black men in the US are not targeted more frequently, nor are they at greater risk for negative outcomes from interacting with the police, even if they may think so? (So deBlasio is accurately representing how the Black community views the situation, but they are wrong in their perception)

3) Most Black people in the US do in fact have those fears, and those fears are well founded, but it is rude, impolite, or otherwise improper to bring them up? (So deBlasio is accurate and correct, but should not have talked about it)

#2 is probably closest to my opinion, though I'm not totally clear on why my opinion is relevant.  Presumably we're talking about a dispute between the mayor NYC and its police department.

I say closest because "negative outcomes" covers a huge amount of territory.  It's not disputed that blacks and Hispanics were disproportionately targeted under Bloomberg's stop and frisk policy, presumably because they live disproportionately in high crime areas.  But then I again, as I've already mentioned, I don't see how Di Blasio's advice to his son is warranted if the "negative outcome" in question is a stop and frisk, or being pulled over while driving.

Admiral Yi

Di Blasio wants to ban horse-drawn carriages.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Putting horses out of work.   :mad:

That's what they get for not having a union.

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on December 31, 2014, 01:59:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 31, 2014, 01:57:23 PM

You are wrong. Google would be your friend. Starting pay of six figs for a proby, I doubt that.
http://www.nypdrecruit.com/benefits-salary/overview

$90k after 5.5 years seems rather decent to me.  :)

Hell of a lot better than the military pay scale.  And we don't get overtime either.

KRonn

With all that NYC actually needs, and this ass-clown campaigned on banning the tourist horse drawn carriages?   :huh:

Admiral Yi

He wants to replace them with vintage taxi cabs which cost 170K. :huh:

Some speculation that the ulterior motive is to snatch the prime real estate the stables are on.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2015, 04:06:47 PM
Some speculation that the ulterior motive is to snatch the prime real estate the stables are on.

There's got to be an ulterior motive.  Horse-drawn carriages are one of the big "romantic" things to do in New York, besides kissing atop the Empire State Building and pissing in the subway.  What's he planning on doing next, trying to outlaw When Harry Met Sally?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2014, 03:46:15 PM

#2 is probably closest to my opinion, though I'm not totally clear on why my opinion is relevant.  Presumably we're talking about a dispute between the mayor NYC and its police department.

I say closest because "negative outcomes" covers a huge amount of territory.  It's not disputed that blacks and Hispanics were disproportionately targeted under Bloomberg's stop and frisk policy, presumably because they live disproportionately in high crime areas.  But then I again, as I've already mentioned, I don't see how Di Blasio's advice to his son is warranted if the "negative outcome" in question is a stop and frisk, or being pulled over while driving.

I'm a bit surprised at you Yi.  Seriously.  I thought you libertarian aspect would bothered by unwarranted stop and frisk and being pulled over without just cause.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Maybe you should withhold the majority of your surprise until *after* I've expressed an opinion about stop and frisk.

Razgovory

Then perhaps you should, as your post gave the impression you didn't think it was a big deal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I should express an opinion, because you thought I already did?

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on January 01, 2015, 03:53:27 PM
With all that NYC actually needs, and this ass-clown campaigned on banning the tourist horse drawn carriages?   :huh:

Politicians make many different promises. Given the mistreatment of horses in the city, I don't see what is so terrible about it.

Of course you are probably just posting out of your ass again. Do you even have any idea what New York needs?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2015, 05:06:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2015, 04:06:47 PM

There's got to be an ulterior motive.  Horse-drawn carriages are one of the big "romantic" things to do in New York, besides kissing atop the Empire State Building and pissing in the subway.  What's he planning on doing next, trying to outlaw When Harry Met Sally?

There is nothing romantic about a horse drawn carriage ride in NYC.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2015, 06:59:00 PM
There is nothing romantic about a horse drawn carriage ride in NYC.

Are you saying the movies LIED to us? :blink:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?