And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on January 15, 2014, 07:37:05 PM
:yes:

I shift my Honda to '2' when starting out in snowy/icy conditions (typically my driveway and if the subdivision hasn't been plowed well).

Ahh, that's why I had so much problem getting my car out of (by Vancouver standards) deep snow.  I used D.

Admiral Yi

I once heard that a story that a chick in drivers' ed was on the highway, the instructor told her to pass the car in front, so she shifted to "P" for pass.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 07:39:00 PM
I once heard that a story that a chick in drivers' ed was on the highway, the instructor told her to pass the car in front, so she shifted to "P" for pass.
was she blonde
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

BTW, I took a serious look at the gear box yesterday.  There is actually another option called D3.  Is it for slopes, like a lighter version of 2 and L?

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2014, 07:39:36 PM
BTW, I took a serious look at the gear box yesterday.  There is actually another option called D3.  Is it for slopes, like a lighter version of 2 and L?

OWNERS MANUAL
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 07:41:49 PM

OWNERS MANUAL

Pretty sure I tried to read it when I first got it.  I've since forgotten everything  :P

Admiral Yi

Speaking of engine braking, anyone know the reason for the "Trucks No Engine Braking" signs you sometimes see on the highway?

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 07:50:32 PM
Speaking of engine braking, anyone know the reason for the "Trucks No Engine Braking" signs you sometimes see on the highway?

It's loud.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100328170754AAchJlo

watch the vid
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 07:41:49 PM

OWNERS MANUAL

No one reads anymore, dear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 07:39:00 PM
Sounds like quite a story.

PDH

Quote from: fhdz on January 15, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
All of the "manual is better than automatic" arguments which are actually quantifiable - like fuel inefficiency, transmission wear, and so on - have been rendered obsolete by improvements in automatic transmissions.

The only arguments left for refusing to drive an automatic in the United States, where automatic transmissions are very common, are emotional arguments. Which is fine; if that's what you feel like you want to do because it satisfies you in some non-quantifiable way, then go for it.

Brake wear is still higher in automatic transmissions, also as mentioned long descents are far better in a manual.  On snow-pack or ice I will always prefer a manual.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)