News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Look out, LaCroix, he's got a Harvard Kennedy School diploma behind his back!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2014, 07:48:06 PM
Do us a favor and let us know when you hear the cart-starts pop before you head to the bunker, 'k?

My wife is freaked out enough as it is. She doesn't remember this Cold War stuff. So if I disappear, that means I've evacuated to Harlan. Just to calm her down.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 07:52:21 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 07:50:49 PM
they're firmly within russia's sphere.

What does this even mean?

It means Russia spends more money, more diplomatic resources, and more intelligence resources than the West does. That, and Russia can apparently deploy military forces there without much in the repercussions.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2014, 07:41:51 PM
or watching the 82nd AB parachute into tripwire deployments along the Dnieper

:w00t:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2014, 07:52:09 PMBut 2 of Ukraine's (close)neighbor are part of NATO. It's his sphere, it's slowly becoming our sphere.

yes. it's not permanently in russia's sphere, but currently it is. had yanukovych not come into power, this incident probably would not have occurred as who knows what pro-west relations might have developed in those four years. but yanukovych and the ukrainian government cut those goals and decided to keep the country where it was

Quote from: Admiral YiWhat does this even mean?

great powers have regional interests and exploit countries within their zone. every great power does this, and it shouldn't come as a shock when a great power exerts pressure on a smaller country within its regional interest. that is exactly what is occurring here. is it fair? no, but it's never fair. we're reacting to it because russia is seen as an enemy. if we were the ones doing it, we (or at least a portion of us) would be seeing ourselves as the good guys

Lettow77

Russia is "seen" as the enemy is insufficiently noncommittal. Russia is the enemy regardless of the era or government.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

The US needs to launch a nuclear first strike against Russia and China.  Sure, the Euros would bitch, but it's for the good of the human race.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

I wonder whether a good outcome here may not be for Russia to just take eastern Ukraine to mire in shittyness and let the west move EUwards and become w respectable modern country some day
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 08:06:32 PM
great powers have regional interests and exploit countries within their zone. every great power does this, and it shouldn't come as a shock when a great power exerts pressure on a smaller country within its regional interest. that is exactly what is occurring here. is it fair? no, but it's never fair. we're reacting to it because russia is seen as an enemy. if we were the ones doing it, we (or at least a portion of us) would be seeing ourselves as the good guys

I guess I see your point.  The US is occupying parts of Canada and demanding they be annexed to the US, and China is doing the same in Vietnam, so it's OK for Russia to.

TOTALLY INCORRECT

Great powers don't have any special rights in neighboring countries.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 08:31:19 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 08:06:32 PM

I guess I see your point.  The US is occupying parts of Canada and demanding they be annexed to the US, and China is doing the same in Vietnam, so it's OK for Russia to.

TOTALLY INCORRECT

That's not what he said. Like, at all.

Tonitrus

We will rue when the day comes that Mexico intervenes into the U.S. southwest and Texas to protect the Spanish speaking peoples there.   :(

Admiral Yi

I'm a little tired of your dancing around Jacob.  Either make a point or cut bait.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 08:37:21 PM
I'm a little tired of your dancing around Jacob.  Either make a point or cut bait.

And I'm tired of your deliberate lack of reading comprehension; so, I pass.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 08:31:19 PMI guess I see your point.  The US is occupying parts of Canada and demanding they be annexed to the US, and China is doing the same in Vietnam, so it's OK for Russia to.

TOTALLY INCORRECT

you're being unfair. the US doesn't need to occupy foreign soil for it to exploit a nation.

great powers do not have legal rights codified in international agreements to exploit neighboring countries within their sphere, yes. you are correct. no one is arguing that, because that would be a foolish thing to suggest. if you took what i said to mean that, then i'd advise rereading what i said. if you're confused, point out the confusion and i'll elaborate