News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 05:02:12 PMTypical.  Nothing whatsoever to do with rooting for the underdog.

Your adoptive country needs some serious psychotherapy dude.

Austria's "everlasting neutrality" after WW2 is pretty ingrained in the public psyche. Many saw Eastern and Western blocs during the Cold War as equally bad military machines, with the West only mildly preferable.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2014, 05:08:03 PM
Austria's "everlasting neutrality" after WW2 is pretty ingrained in the public psyche. Many saw Eastern and Western blocs during the Cold War as equally bad military machines, with the West only mildly preferable.

With all due respect, that kind of thinking is bullshit.  A coping mechanism to avoid confronting Austria's role in the war, and to avoid making unpleasant moral choices in the present.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 05:15:28 PM

With all due respect, that kind of thinking is bullshit.  A coping mechanism to avoid confronting Austria's role in the war, and to avoid making unpleasant moral choices in the present.

Never said I agree with it. Austrian government meanwhile (not that anyone pays attention to them goes through the regular motions (territorial integrity of Ukraine must be maintained, provocations must cease on both sides etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

QuoteIn response to the concern shown by Obama about the plans for the possible use of Russia's armed forces on the territory of Ukraine, Putin drew attention to the provocative, criminal actions by ultra-nationalists, in essence encouraged by the current authorities in Kiev," the statement said.

The Russian President underlined that there are real threats to the life and health of Russian citizens and compatriots on Ukrainian territory. Vladimir Putin stressed that if violence spread further in the eastern regions of Ukraine and in Crimea, Russia reserves the right to protect its interests and those of Russian speakers living there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 05:02:12 PMTypical.  Nothing whatsoever to do with rooting for the underdog.

Your adoptive country needs some serious psychotherapy dude.

Shame those "many" couldn't live on the other side of the curtain and see which one was more equally bad than the other.

Christ, Europeans can be beyond obnoxious in their moral naivete sometimes.  My condolences, Syt.

Syt

QuoteReuters have filed a report from Crimea on the reactions of residents to the unfolding crisis.

When a convoy of Russian military vehicles unloaded dozens of armed troops into this sleepy Crimean port town on Saturday, residents thronged around them honking car horns, snapping pictures and waving Russian flags.

Ludmila Marchenko,66, a retired teacher, simply burst into applause when asked about the masked soldiers with automatic rifles standing guard nearby.

"At first we were in shock, now we see it as a liberation," the 66-year-old told Reuters.

Those residents who felt foreboding as they watched the armoured vehicles roll mostly hung back in the crowd. This is a mess. This is an invasion. I think this is an act of aggression by Russia," said Dmitry Bessonov, 55, a retired miner from Donetsk.

Such voices may be in the minority. "They made a big mistake when they stood on Maidan and said they wanted to ban the Russian language ... We don't want to be second-class citizens," said Marchenko's brother Vitaly, a civilian sailor.

"I am not against a united Ukraine ... Yes, our president was not great. Yes, there was corruption and theft, but we don't want to live under these conditions. We are just sick of these speeches by fascists and neo-fascists."

The sight of Russian boots on the ground here on the outskirts of Sevastopol - home to the Black Sea Fleet - is nothing unusual to residents, who quickly adapted to the presence of more than 100 armed men parked along the main strip of the bay that is popular with tourists.

The masked soldiers stood congenially shoulder -to-shoulder with residents who posed for photographs. They happily accepted cigarettes from the crowd.

In a bizarre carnival-like scene, Russian Orthodox priests chanted prayers, while a wedding party drove by loudly honking their car horns.

"It is a great joy for is," said Vladimir Tikhonov, 53, an electrician. "I want this to be Russian land and it will be."

Valentina Magomedova, an accountant whose curiosity drew her to the scene, said people regretted a decision by Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, himself a Ukrainian, to transfer the Crimea from Russia to Soviet Ukraine in 1954.

"The new authorities (in Kiev) are not legitimate. We trust Putin, we love Russia," she said. "We were part of Russia and we are sorry still that Khrushchev gave us away."

While most residents had no love for Kiev's new leaders, some were worried by the dangers of the situation and wary of Russia's designs. Confronting the mute soldiers, one man vented his frustration, "What are you doing here? Get lost."

"I have a business, tourist season is beginning, I can't have a war," he said under his breath, shaking his head and turning his back on the 10 trucks and five armoured vehicles.

A nearby restaurant decided to shut its doors early and keep them shut for the next few days.

"That's me losing my salary, if this keeps up," said Natalia Fomichova, 35, a lively blonde waitress at the seaside restaurant, overlooking opulent private motor boats parked in Balaclava bay.

"No one asked us. We are like puppets for them ... We have one Tsar and god - Putin," she said.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2014, 05:22:01 PM
Christ, Europeans can be beyond obnoxious in their moral naivete sometimes.  My condolences, Syt.

Based on my personal observation: even though the topic is big in the media, Ukraine is not a topic that people talk about - not among my friends, not at work. It might have been different at my old job where we did considerable amounts of business in the Ukraine.

I think outside the general lunatics that post on news sites the majority probably won't care much and shrug it off as "slavs being slavs".
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on March 01, 2014, 05:38:14 PM
Can we nuke Moscow yet?

You could do it all along. You had nukes in the silos, you just didn't realize it. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I bet Barack's face just turned a deeper shade of purple.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017