And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2014, 09:50:22 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 01, 2014, 09:04:53 PM
Good book, BUT ITS FICTION!!!!!!11111onweonewoeneoneoene WTF?????++++++plusplusplus
Guardian livebloggers have a sense of humour :lol: :console:

I don't doubt he is well read. I just feel that this suggests that Guardian livebloggers don't know that if all you know about he crimean war is Flashman and Tennyson and Nightingale then that's what you think it was.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 09:48:19 PM
i'm saying that general exploitation occurs, and people are getting too emotionally involved over countries that have little to do with the US. we tried to invade cuba after their government fell and the new government was realigned with the opposition. in a sense, same with vietnam. same with grenada. etc. etc. this is russia's grenada or whatever other analogy you want to make

The analogy I would prefer to use is none at all because i don't think any fit.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2014, 10:13:08 PMThe analogy I would prefer to use is none at all because i don't think any fit.

ok, just remember - don't get lost in the trees

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 10:13:37 PM
ok, just remember - don't get lost in the trees

I'll try not to forget.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 09:38:25 PMthere's nothing here that compels the US to defend ukraine's territorial integrity. not even close. it's a promise that the US will not violate ukraine's independence and sovereignty, not that they promise to uphold it. that would be an insane treaty for the US to sign. only the most desperate party seeking foreign assistance would legitimately try to interpret that to mean the US is obliged to defend ukraine. well, that and laymen  :P

Hey you stupid cunt, see this part of my post you declined to quote when responding to me:

QuoteWhat you're probably confused on is whether it's a requirement that we protect Ukraine--it isn't.

You can just go ahead and push a baseball bat up your ass the next time your ignorant ass feels the need to "explain" something to me I've already said in the text of the post you're responding to as you do it.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 01, 2014, 10:16:46 PMHey you stupid cunt, see this part of my post you declined to quote when responding to me:

You can just go ahead and push a baseball bat up your ass the next time your ignorant ass feels the need to "explain" something to me I've already said in the text of the post you're responding to as you do it.

ahem. you were the one bringing it up as an argument for why the US should intervene. if you knew it was a faulty argument, then why did you bring it up?

(edit) maybe i should clarify the intent of my post...

it sort of confused me why you were going on about this treaty. a few pages back you mentioned it in a list of reasons for why the US should intervene. then someone points out that the treaty doesn't support the US intervening, and you say "well of course!" but continued to stress that the treaty could be used as justification for military intervention.

that's wrong, as i was pointing out. the US could militarily intervene all it wants, but it would be embarrassing if it were to use that treaty as a reason for its intervention. you shouldn't assume i didn't read your post. i'd admit if i overlooked your admission, as i have before with other posters - i didn't, though. i do apologize for upsetting you, though  :P

PDH

War threat level 3: OvB has downed his third double bourbon.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Fireblade

Europe's disarmament after 1991 was a mistake. What the West needs is the creation of an elite, multinational force to defend Europe from Russian aggression.

Jacob

Canada pulls ambassador from Moscow: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-crisis-harper-recalls-ambassador-tells-putin-to-withdraw-1.2556228

We're pulling out of the G8 process as well, it seems.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Anyone else filled with the strangest desire to watch Threads and When the Wind Blows?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2014, 10:18:13 PMahem. you were the one bringing it up as an argument for why the US should intervene. if you knew it was a faulty argument, then why did you bring it up?

Oh, where did I do that? I said we could use it as part of our justification for moving troops into Kiev-controlled parts of Ukraine to help them with internal security matters. I never said it was a justification for anything else. Most importantly I never argued the agreement in and of itself was a reason for us to intervene. The reason we would intervene would be to check Putin, but foreign policy is a grand dance and in this day and age you always try to justify your actions, even when you're just committed bald-faced aggression. By and large even Hitler tried to drum up some veneer of justification for his actions.

As a justification to parade out in front of the EU it would be one of a few key things to justify our behavior if we decided to send a military detachment to Kiev. But it would be secondary to the fact the current government of the Ukraine would be requesting our presence there.

(edit) maybe i should clarify the intent of my post...

it sort of confused me why you were going on about this treaty. a few pages back you mentioned it in a list of reasons for why the US should intervene. then someone points out that the treaty doesn't support the US intervening, and you say "well of course!" but continued to stress that the treaty could be used as justification for military intervention.[/quote]

No, I didn't. Where did this happen? I reread the thread--something I'm about 90% sure you didn't do at all to start with. My first mentioning of the treaty was actually in response to DGuller and my first post about the treaty specifically says it does not require us to protect the Ukraine--and then I point out that since both ourselves and Russia promised not to fuck with Ukraine in order to get them to disarm their nuclear stockpile Ukraine would be more than justified in re-arming nuclearly and I posited we should help them do that if they want. I made it clear however from my very first post on the subject that it did not require we protect Ukraine, meaning it is not a defensive alliance treaty establishing a NATO-style relationship between us and Ukraine. That was my very first post in reference to the treaty. Your narrative about my comments in regard to the treaty are completely false. Have you gotten around to shoving that baseball bat up your ass yet? Because I'm really not seeing what you're bringing to this thread other than a habit of lying about what other people have posted--which in the format of a message board is particularly stupid since anyone can look at prior posts and note that you're lying.

Quotethat's wrong, as i was pointing out. the US could militarily intervene all it wants, but it would be embarrassing if it were to use that treaty as a reason for its intervention. you shouldn't assume i didn't read your post. i'd admit if i overlooked your admission, as i have before with other posters - i didn't, though. i do apologize for upsetting you, though  :P

The treaty specifically obligates both the United States and Russia to not fuck with Ukraine's territory or sovereignty. A treaty is like a contract and can require specific performance--as our membership in NATO does. Or it can be an open-ended treaty like the Memorandum with Ukraine. But I can't see any argument at all that we wouldn't have a good legalese justification for sending soldiers to help Kiev with security in response to Russia violating its treaty obligations. Most treaties historically have not required specific performance per se but have been similar to the memorandum, they just spell out a rough agreement. In reality that's about all you need, because all that matters anyway is what you're willing to do if the other parties don't hold up to their end. In many situations signatories just don't care, violations are seen as not a big deal or too minor to get all heated up about (many of Germany's first violations of Versailles were of this nature, and Versailles didn't require the signatories respond to Germany failing to do what it said it would do.) In video game terms I'd say we definitely would have a casus belli against Russia for not holding up its end of the treaty. But in the 21st or even 20th centuries there's not going to be a direct conflict with Russia, but if we wanted to deploy a limited military presence to Ukraine (and I've already pointed out that's the last in a long line of options) we would want some veneer of justification for our actions. Putin is making the argument he is protecting Russian speakers and Russian citizens living in Crimea. We could say we are taking responsibility for the safety of Ukraine due to having persuaded them to de-arm themselves and having signed an agreement saying we would "respect" their territorial integrity and sovereignty--in addition to the fact we would only go in if specifically asked to do so.

Razgovory

Look at me, siding with Otto and Derspeiss!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017