If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:52:21 PM
Why do you think there is a low quality of life there? 
Personal experience.  It's hard to describe, because it's really a collection of many little things that grate on you once you know that other places have it better.  Some of it is just an inevitable consequence of high population density, but many are a result of piss-poor governance.
QuoteWhen I think of NYC I think of the all the amazing things I could do there that I couldnt do here - and I live in a pretty amazing place. :)
Because you're thinking like a tourist, not like a potential resident.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 04:04:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:52:21 PM
Why do you think there is a low quality of life there? 
Personal experience.  It's hard to describe, because it's really a collection of many little things that grate on you once you know that other places have it better.  Some of it is just an inevitable consequence of high population density, but many are a result of piss-poor governance.
QuoteWhen I think of NYC I think of the all the amazing things I could do there that I couldnt do here - and I live in a pretty amazing place. :)

And as a potential resident you lose all interests? :unsure:

Also, you voluntarily live in NJ, so I shall advise that your personal experience should be taken with a salt lick.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 04:09:17 PM
And as a potential resident you lose all interests? :unsure:
No, but some of the interests are based on novelty, which works for tourists, but quickly bores the locals.
QuoteAlso, you voluntarily live in NJ, so I shall advise that your personal experience should be taken with a salt lick.
:yawn: That wasn't clever even the first 100 times.  I don't know where NJ stacks up in the big picture, but in general it's a much nicer place to live in, and just a much nicer place, than NYC.

CountDeMoney

There's a lot of really nice space in the Jersey heartland, like all along 70 and below 195...it's when you start winding up on the Delaware River side from Wilmington all the way up to below Trenton, or near Newark that it starts to become "New Joisey".

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 04:20:39 PM
There's a lot of really nice space in the Jersey heartland, like all along 70 and below 195...it's when you start winding up on the Delaware River side from Wilmington all the way up to below Trenton, or near Newark that it starts to become "New Joisey".
:yes: Western and Southern New Jersey are particularly nice places to live in, but IMO even the northeastern parts which are insanely expensive and horribly congested are still preferable to what's there across the river.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 04:04:00 PM

Naw, I would be happy to live there.  It would take all of two seconds to convince my wife to move.  The time it would take me to say "we are moving to NYC"

Savonarola

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
The main difference between the idle rich and the idle poor is that the idle rich have the means to do some serious damage to themselves and perhaps more importantly to others.

Thanks to the miracle of crystal meth the idle poor also have the means to do some serious damage themselves and others.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In any event, no, I wouldn't quit my job for a guaranteed $45,000 per year.  I like my job.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 04:25:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 04:20:39 PM
:yes: Western and Southern New Jersey are particularly nice places to live in, but IMO even the northeastern parts which are insanely expensive and horribly congested are still preferable to what's there across the river.

You got the greater Baltimore area to agree with you. Besides, are you trying to claim you live in one of the nice parts of Jersey?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 05:48:45 PM
Besides, are you trying to claim you live in one of the nice parts of Jersey?
:huh: No, I live right across the river, though I would like to move westward sometime in the future.  It's still a much better deal than NYC.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 06:24:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 05:48:45 PM
Besides, are you trying to claim you live in one of the nice parts of Jersey?
:huh: No, I live right across the river, though I would like to move westward sometime in the future.  It's still a much better deal than NYC.

For you, perhaps. :)

Maximus

I can't think of anything I'd want to live in NYC for. Maybe a job, but with the cost of living it would have to be a damn fine job.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on September 25, 2013, 07:07:18 PM
I can't think of anything I'd want to live in NYC for. Maybe a job, but with the cost of living it would have to be a damn fine job.

Again we need to consider where you did choose to live to provide some context to whether your judgment should be accepted about such things.

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 07:27:17 PM
Quote from: Maximus on September 25, 2013, 07:07:18 PM

Again we need to consider where you did choose to live to provide some context to whether your judgment should be accepted about such things.

You're right. The right woman would probably do it too.