NFL Week 1: The Official 1st Thread of NFL Week MegaThreads

Started by CountDeMoney, September 05, 2013, 05:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Interesting fact:  There were only two guys in week 1 with more than 100 yards rushing:  Shane 'Lights Out' Vereen, and the league rushing leader was the QB of the Oakland Raiders.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2013, 06:58:52 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 08, 2013, 06:25:44 PM
This Boldin guy might be okay.
No kidding.  That's the one Ravens move this offseason that I just didn't get and can't get behind.  Still, their loss is the Niners gain.

They couldn't afford him, he wouldn't restructure his contract, and they needed the cash to buy a middle linebacker and strong safety.  Pretty simple salary cap mathematics, actually.

CountDeMoney

Who knew Eli Manning would play like Tony Romo so early?

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2013, 07:27:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2013, 06:58:52 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 08, 2013, 06:25:44 PM
This Boldin guy might be okay.
No kidding.  That's the one Ravens move this offseason that I just didn't get and can't get behind.  Still, their loss is the Niners gain.
They couldn't afford him, he wouldn't restructure his contract, and they needed the cash to buy a middle linebacker and strong safety.  Pretty simple salary cap mathematics, actually.
They traded him over two million dollars, which would get you either a middle lineback or a strong safety, but not both.  Was Michael Huff worth Anquan Boldin?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2013, 07:33:35 PM
They traded him over two million dollars, which would get you either a middle lineback or a strong safety, but not both.  Was Michael Huff worth Anquan Boldin?

They had to trade him, or they would've been forced to release him outright for absolutely nothing to show for it.  Would you rather have seen Brynden Trawick as the starting safety Thursday night?

Fuck, you'd think Bouldin was the first player in the history of salary cap moves to continue playing at a high level.  But when he makes 4 catches for 37 yards next week along with his penchant of 1st half dropsies, are you going to keep bitiching then?

I've got to listen to enough of the ZOMG FIRE OZZIE FER ANQUAN mouthbreathers on local radio as it is.  Don't be That Guy.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2013, 07:42:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2013, 07:33:35 PM
They had to trade him, or they would've been forced to release him outright for absolutely nothing to show for it.  Would you rather have seen Brynden Trawick as the starting safety Thursday night?

Fuck, you'd think Bouldin was the first player in the history of salary cap moves to continue playing at a high level.  But when he makes 4 catches for 37 yards next week along with his penchant of 1st half dropsies, are you going to keep bitiching then?

I've got to listen to enough of the ZOMG FIRE OZZIE FER ANQUAN mouthbreathers on local radio as it is.  Don't be That Guy.
I just think it was a mistake.  And honestly, for all the good Huff did, they might as well have started Trawick.  Then again, that might not be fair, given that it was Manning and all that.  Yeah, I'm probably not going to be alright with Boldin, even if he has a down week.  Because even his worst game is better than Ed Dickson.

Then again, who knows?  Maybe Brown and Mellette will make me forget that Boldin and Jones ever existed.  It's just painful to watch the offence struggle with drops on Thursday after trading a guy with velcro hands, and then that guy goes off on Sunday.

Neil

And if anyone is talking about firing Ozzie, they need to shoot themselves in the head with one of the many handguns that are available in Baltimore.  It's not like this is the first time that Ozzie has made a mistake with a wide receiver.

CountDeMoney

Travis Taylor.  Patrick Johnson. :bleeding:

And we should totally expect Bouldin to go crazy in San Fransisco, he's a perfect fit for that offense.  But at least they traded him to the NFC.  Cutting him outright, he could've been in a Patriots uniform this season.  :bleeding:  And then how happy would everybody be?

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2013, 08:09:41 PM
Travis Taylor.  Patrick Johnson. :bleeding:

And we should totally expect Bouldin to go crazy in San Fransisco, he's a perfect fit for that offense.  But at least they traded him to the NFC.  Cutting him outright, he could've been in a Patriots uniform this season.  :bleeding:  And then how happy would everybody be?
Ugh.  Travis Taylor was exactly who I was thinking of.  And really, no receiver that they drafted between Brandon Stokley and Torrey Smith really worked out.  Remember Clarence Moore?  Yamon Figurs?  Devard Darling?  Mark Clayton almost worked out.

Yeah, if they had to dump him then obviously it's better to get something rather than nothing, but it would be better to just keep him and let the Patriots try their luck next year.

Neil

LOL.  After half an hour of complete futility, Eli all of the sudden just casually throws a huge TD pass under pressure.  NFC Least indeed.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2013, 08:44:12 PM
Yeah, if they had to dump him then obviously it's better to get something rather than nothing, but it would be better to just keep him and let the Patriots try their luck next year.

Life in the salary cap age.  Gotta rob Peter to pay Paul.  Had to chisel away a point of strength in the offense to upgrade the defense.

And if they didn't have that extra scratch, they wouldn't have been able to score the fluke coup that is Elvis.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2013, 08:47:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2013, 08:44:12 PM

Life in the salary cap age.  Gotta rob Peter to pay Paul.  Had to chisel away a point of strength in the offense to upgrade the defense.

And if they didn't have that extra scratch, they wouldn't have been able to score the fluke coup that is Elvis.
Now that might actually be legit.  I guess it's up to the individual to decide how the extent to which they value offence vs defence.

Neil

They looked bad in the second half, but I'm sure they'll gel a bit as the season goes on.  The Cleveland Browns heal all wounds.