News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2024, 01:51:28 PMAs it happens the Muslims of Lebanon do not claim to be decedent's of Canaanites.  They claim to be the decedents of Arab invaders.  They claim the Christians are the decedents of Canaanites.  It's funny how politics can warp national identity.

All the Lebanese people I know (granted, only Sunni and Christians) don't claim to be Arabs but Phoenicians.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 25, 2024, 12:44:20 PMThe WB/Gaza Arabs don't want "self-determination" they want to live under the rule of a terror state ala the Taliban and kill every Jew in the levant. You're fucking nuts if you think they want self-determination, they want to kill the Jews.
Contrary to the Israeli who elect the Likud (and other rightwing/far right parties) who simply want to live in peace and harmony with their Arab neighbors?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on September 26, 2024, 11:46:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 26, 2024, 11:20:34 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 25, 2024, 02:30:15 PMThe idea that the left was anti war when they were the main ones who really hated the nazis and wanted to fight them to the end....

Jos, you need to read a bit more about what happened.  There has been a lot of work done by historians and others showing the link between the Soviet Union's stance on the war, and how communists and communist adjacent folks in Europe and North America acted.   One of my favourite studies on the topic traced how American folk music went from being very anti-war during the pact between the Soviets and Nazis to being full blown jingoists when the Nazis attacked the Soviets.

Breaking my implementation of my rule to selfblock the thread here to reply to someone else....

You need to read a bit more about what happened. This is well known stuff.
The majority of the conservative party led by Halifax wanted to sue for peace.
Churchill was able to form a government by enlisting the support of Labour who were extremely anti nazi.
Communists were irrelevant. The sweeping claim that the left were pro nazi is a nonsense.

Raz said the "far" left. Not the left

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2024, 01:14:54 AMRaz said the "far" left. Not the left

Its Raz.
He's made clear when he says far left he means anyone who has said bad things about Israel's behaviour.
Actual extreme far left lunatics screaming death to the Jews, moderate centre left politicians tut tutting at the level of civilian casualties.
Same same.

If he actually meant the far left as any rational person would define it, then that just underlines how pointless engagement is; as who cares? They're a powerless minority. Nobody here is representing them.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

You guys are making my head hurt.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on September 27, 2024, 02:47:29 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2024, 01:14:54 AMRaz said the "far" left. Not the left

Its Raz.
He's made clear when he says far left he means anyone who has said bad things about Israel's behaviour.
Actual extreme far left lunatics screaming death to the Jews, moderate centre left politicians tut tutting at the level of civilian casualties.
Same same.

If he actually meant the far left as any rational person would define it, then that just underlines how pointless engagement is; as who cares? They're a powerless minority. Nobody here is representing them.

No, I said far-left.  People complaining about Israel's behavior in 1939 were scarce on the ground.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Israelis are claiming they targeted Nasrallah in an airstrike.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

If they tie themselves down in a pointless ground offensive I will change my mind but so far if most of the Israeli claims are true then this has been a huge success against Hezbollah. They may be totally neutered for a while and in a rather humiliating way where no ground assaults were required to achieve this.

Is there any chance other Lebanese factions take the chance to get rid of them?

PJL

In an ideal world, the Lebanese army would be bankrolled by the US and strengthened to the point where they could defeat Hezbollah that way, maybe even with US special forces. Obviously that will not happen regardless of who becomes President.

Razgovory

Nasrallah is dead.  Burn in Hell, Motherfucker.  The Ghost of Bill Buckley* is going to kick your ass.

*Bill Buckley was a CIA station chief kidnapped by Hezbollah.  He was tortured to death and Hezbollah sent the videos of the torture to Langley.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, sad day for some of the posters here who lionized Nasrallah. Good day for the good guys.

Savonarola

On NPR this morning one of the reporters said they were blasting this song in Tel Aviv:

For the start of a diss track "You look like a hippopotamus" isn't bad (although it did call to mind the TS Eliot poem.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 09:25:09 AMYeah, sad day for some of the posters here who lionized Nasrallah. Good day for the good guys.

Would it really be that unbearable to have 3 posts here without the OVB-Josq-Raz-Viper circle jerk?

Habbaku

I missed it. Who was gagging over Nasrallah's brilliance?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien