News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2024, 06:15:24 AMI don't think I ever see their brand come up on products anymore when I'm looking for food storage.

That was my thought - too many reasonably priced alternatives easily available (unlike during the heyday of Tupper Parties).

But many post-school lunches were waiting for me in Tupperware plates, still warm :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Not too surprising on tupperware, had heard they were in trouble a few years back. I never use plastic containers for food these days, just don't trust it, glass all the way.

In other news.... Tokyo had a mayoral election a few months back.
Apparently there's been quite a fad for joke candidates lately.
Including one woman who used the free political TV ad space she had to take off her top and ask if people thought she was cute, and to add her on Line :lol:

https://www.unilad.com/community/viral/airi-uchino-political-candidate-japan-strips-votes-225246-20240712

Oh, and maybe the one to start it, a guy dressed like the Joker.
https://www.tokyoweekender.com/japan-life/news-and-opinion/japanese-joker-the-tokyo-elections-craziest-candidate/
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I genuinely didn't know it was a brand :o :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah it's a bit like Hoover or tip-ex - I thought it was the name of plastic microwaveable food boxes. I realise saying it, it's mad but I just thought it was a generic name for that type of product not a specific brand.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2024, 06:50:23 AMYeah it's a bit like Hoover or tip-ex - I thought it was the name of plastic microwaveable food boxes. I realise saying it, it's mad but I just thought it was a generic name for that type of product not a specific brand.

My husband just said the same thing so you are not alone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Paper tissues are Kleenexes. Kleenex has a brand left Canada earlier in 2024. Might take a while to break that habit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2024, 07:57:09 AMPaper tissues are Kleenexes. Kleenex has a brand left Canada earlier in 2024. Might take a while to break that habit.

In Germany we have "Tempo" as generic paper tissue but also as the original brand. And yeah, Tupper or Tupperware was a generic term for plastic containers too, though there was awareness of the brand.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

:lol:

Tempo(the brand and the word to reference it) here is a temporary plastic tents we put over our driveways in the winter.

https://www.abristempo.com/en/

Syt

Wouldn't want to sleep under a pack of these in winter. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox