News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

In the late 80s early 90s my dad swore by the McFish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2024, 02:21:36 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 17, 2024, 01:52:12 PMI once ordered a mcfish just to experiment.
It isn't good.

Fish seems like a particularly bad thing to get for fastfood. At least of the franchise corporate type.

The UK and the US Pacific Northwest have developed rather good Fish & Chips.

No scribes allowed...

*to be fair though, I would be skeptical of major /franchise chains also...but the Seattle area has a very good local chain (Ivar's :mmm: )

Admiral Yi

Re McFish, I don't think anything that's breaded and fried works in a sandwich.  Whether it's artisanal or mass market.

Sheilbh

Totally disagree :o

Love a katsu sando, fish finger sandwich, escalope sandwich - all of the breaded friend sandwiches.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Well yeah, brutalism, soap scum on the dishes, katsu sandwiches, it's all of a piece.

What's an escalope sandwich?

Sheilbh

Chicken escalope - maybe schnitzel in the US? - sandwich. Escalope, lemon, mayo, shredded lettuce and a little bit of hot sauce - wonderful :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2024, 06:03:49 PMChicken escalope - maybe schnitzel in the US? - sandwich. Escalope, lemon, mayo, shredded lettuce and a little bit of hot sauce - wonderful :mmm:

I googled and it looks like schitzel/cutlet. 

Grey Fox

I use chop to describe an escalope.

Syt

They use different motivational posteres in India ...  :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Oh dear.
I still remember Hitler was a great man lady in Japan.

██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2024, 05:31:13 AMOh dear.
I still remember Hitler was a great man lady in Japan.

Image related? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://www.dw.com/en/tupperware-files-for-bankruptcy-as-demand-shrinks/a-70245540

QuoteTupperware files for bankruptcy as demand shrinks

Once popular for its colorful food storage containers, US firm Tupperware has filed for bankruptcy. The company succumbed to a plummeting demand for its products.

Tupperware Brands Inc. and some of its subsidiaries on Tuesday filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the United States amid dwindling demand for its once-iconic food storage containers.

"Over the last several years, the company's financial position has been severely impacted by the challenging macroeconomic environment," president and CEO Laurie Ann Goldman said in a statement.

Last year, the company raised "substantial doubt" about its ability to keep operating amid its poor financial position.

Long-drawn struggles

Tupperware witnessed a short-lived boost during the coronavirus pandemic when home cooking fueled demand for its trademark colorful, airtight plastic containers.

After the pandemic, a spike in raw material costs, along with increased labor and freight costs, further made a hole in the company's margins.

The firm has been trying to revive its business for nearly four years. It reported a fall in sales for six successive quarters since the third quarter of 2021, as inflation continued to hinder its low and mid-income consumer base.

On Tuesday, Tupperware said it would seek court approval to continue operations during bankruptcy proceedings. It added that it would also seek approval for a sale process for the business to protect its brand.

According to the company's website, Tupperware's history goes back to 1946 — shortly after the  Great Depression — when chemist Earl Tupper "had a spark of inspiration while creating molds at a plastics factory."

"If he could design an airtight seal for plastic storage containers, like those on a paint can, he could help war-weary families save money on costly food waste," the website says.

:o
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2024, 06:14:18 AMhttps://www.dw.com/en/tupperware-files-for-bankruptcy-as-demand-shrinks/a-70245540

QuoteTupperware files for bankruptcy as demand shrinks

Once popular for its colorful food storage containers, US firm Tupperware has filed for bankruptcy. The company succumbed to a plummeting demand for its products.

Tupperware Brands Inc. and some of its subsidiaries on Tuesday filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the United States amid dwindling demand for its once-iconic food storage containers.

"Over the last several years, the company's financial position has been severely impacted by the challenging macroeconomic environment," president and CEO Laurie Ann Goldman said in a statement.

Last year, the company raised "substantial doubt" about its ability to keep operating amid its poor financial position.

Long-drawn struggles

Tupperware witnessed a short-lived boost during the coronavirus pandemic when home cooking fueled demand for its trademark colorful, airtight plastic containers.

After the pandemic, a spike in raw material costs, along with increased labor and freight costs, further made a hole in the company's margins.

The firm has been trying to revive its business for nearly four years. It reported a fall in sales for six successive quarters since the third quarter of 2021, as inflation continued to hinder its low and mid-income consumer base.

On Tuesday, Tupperware said it would seek court approval to continue operations during bankruptcy proceedings. It added that it would also seek approval for a sale process for the business to protect its brand.

According to the company's website, Tupperware's history goes back to 1946 — shortly after the  Great Depression — when chemist Earl Tupper "had a spark of inspiration while creating molds at a plastics factory."

"If he could design an airtight seal for plastic storage containers, like those on a paint can, he could help war-weary families save money on costly food waste," the website says.

:o

I don't think I ever see their brand come up on products anymore when I'm looking for food storage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Just searched tupperware on Amazon and I had to intentionally filter to get any of their products to show up as top hits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Like Avon and Mary Kay, the at home saleswoman model isn't wide enough for today's social media age.