News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 09:42:11 PMI really hate the whole concept of the "your positions changed, you say your values haven't changed" gotcha.  The assumption seems to be that elected politicians are supposed to be dictators installing their values on the country.  I don't think too many people work the jobs where they don't have to occasionally support something they don't quite agree with personally.

I think it has to do with the nature of the contract between voter and candidate.  I'm voting for you now because you say you will do this.  Maybe you'll do it and maybe you won't.  If you don't then you've conned me.  Candidates do this so much in primaries it has become accepted wisdom.  Run the primary to the fringe, pivot in the general.

It's purely academic for me personally because even if I knew she would throw all her campaign promises out the window after she's sworn in, I would still vote for me.  But a theoretical swing voter could feel shafted.

DGuller

I can see your point if the candidate runs on one set of policies but once elected adopts a different set.  I don't think that applies when a candidate doesn't get the job and then runs as a candidate again on somewhat different set of policies.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 10, 2024, 10:13:45 PMTaylor Swift just endorsed Harris.

It's over.

A diss track about Lady Mahommes in the works?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Can anyone give a lowdown on what's so important about Taylor Swift endorsing Harris?  Or who Taylor Swift is, for that matter?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 10:21:57 PMI can see your point if the candidate runs on one set of policies but once elected adopts a different set.  I don't think that applies when a candidate doesn't get the job and then runs as a candidate again on somewhat different set of policies.

Sure, but we can't know the future, so we use proxies, like how much and how severely they've flip flopped in the past.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 10:24:13 PMCan anyone give a lowdown on what's so important about Taylor Swift endorsing Harris?  Or who Taylor Swift is, for that matter?

:unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 10:24:13 PMCan anyone give a lowdown on what's so important about Taylor Swift endorsing Harris?  Or who Taylor Swift is, for that matter?

We now know that you don't watch NFL football.

Razgovory

Saw the debate.  I thought Harris came off professional, knowledgeable and passionate.  Trump came off like he does: An old man trying to fast talk his way out of something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

She is a popular celebrity with a fanatical and large following. She is a pop star who had been dominating the pop charts since about 2008 or so.

Oh and her boyfriend won the Super Bowl.

I can only assume you don't care much for pop culture or sports  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 11:17:06 PM

She is a popular celebrity with a fanatical and large following. She is a pop star who had been dominating the pop charts since about 2008 or so.

Oh and her boyfriend won the Super Bowl.

I can only assume you don't care much for pop culture or sports  :P
:o That's uncanny.  I don't in fact care much for either of those things.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 09:42:11 PMI really hate the whole concept of the "your positions changed, you say your values haven't changed" gotcha.  The assumption seems to be that elected politicians are supposed to be dictators installing their values on the country.  I don't think too many people work the jobs where they don't have to occasionally support something they don't quite agree with personally.
I don't get why candidates don't take it as an opportunity to tell folks that they're willing to change, grow, and learn. Like, it is the perfect way to admit they're fallible humans, but that they will ultimately do what the people want, what is good for the country (I know, not often the same thing), and that they're relatable. Alas, they always just try to cover it. To me, "flip-flopping" can be legit sign someone has learned.  :huh:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Remember when Swift meant Stephanie, not Taylor? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I've only seen the highlights and read a summary article or two... But seems a wonderful self own for trump?
But will anyone care?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It is all down to a relatively small number of voters in those seven or so swing states. Just takes a few Republican-leaning voters to think "hold on a minute, this man is an unhinged criminal" and Harris will get in.

But is remains baffling to me that people can fall for his nonsense. Well, not the oligarchs, the Trump USA will be a great place for them.

jimmy olsen

That's pretty close to his floor of support, so this was pretty good for Harris

https://x.com/IAPolls2022/status/1833718050601726410
QuoteCNN Instant Poll: Who won the debate? (among debate watchers)

🟦 Kamala Harris: 63%
🟥 Donald Trump: 37%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point