News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2024, 01:48:50 PMFrom the eyes of Putin's Russian state I don't think they consider Ukraine a legitimate or meaningfully independent state at all. At best, it's contested territory.

Yes, and why should anyone outside Russia accept that.  Unless you happen to be an American supporting Trump and so need to start adopting the Russian line.

Josquius

A question.
My football team have been linked with a French player currently at Zenit St Petes.
Makes me wonder.... Just how on earth do football transfers work in light of the sanctions?
I had assumed all would be frozen but.. Seems not.

---

Heh. Nice to be loved.

QuoteRUSSIAN STATE TV LAST NIGHT

"We don't need to touch our strategic weapons. We've got enough of others to make sure that there is nothing left of Britain, our sworn enemy. That's where everything stems from, all the rest are underlings." -

Russian propagandist Gurulev.

----

The war seems to be going very odd with the kursk offensive slowing down and digging in and Putin declaring it'll be destroyed by October.... Which seems unlikely.
Meanwhile Russia are making big advances in the centre. No sign of them shifting troops away from here to elsewhere. This side of things bodes very badly - hopefully as kursk digs in they can bring the top quality Ukrainian troops back down here to cut off the spike?
Maybe even it's all part of the plan? (hopium)

---

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2024, 06:27:15 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2024, 01:48:50 PMFrom the eyes of Putin's Russian state I don't think they consider Ukraine a legitimate or meaningfully independent state at all. At best, it's contested territory.

Yes, and why should anyone outside Russia accept that.  Unless you happen to be an American supporting Trump and so need to start adopting the Russian line.

Because it's hard to deal with someone without understanding their POV.
Remaining ignorant of Russias outlook isn't helpful no matter whether you're a wannabe raging vatnik or strongly opposed to it.
In any negotiations with Russia this is where they're coming from.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah I think we are seeing Russia calling Ukraine's bluff, unfortunately. Who would have thought that Putin can get away with abandoning part of his own country? Russia is still a serf society.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2024, 06:27:15 PMYes, and why should anyone outside Russia accept that.  Unless you happen to be an American supporting Trump and so need to start adopting the Russian line.
I don't know what you mean by "accepting" Russia's line or not.

From my perspective, the way you don't challenge the view of the Russian state is by arming Ukraine and providing Ukraine with material support so they can determine their own fate.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2024, 05:15:53 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2024, 06:27:15 PMYes, and why should anyone outside Russia accept that.  Unless you happen to be an American supporting Trump and so need to start adopting the Russian line.
I don't know what you mean by "accepting" Russia's line or not.

From my perspective, the way you don't challenge the view of the Russian state is by arming Ukraine and providing Ukraine with material support so they can determine their own fate.

Yes, and that is not just your perspective, that is the policy of NATO.   

crazy canuck

Reports that Ukraine has destroyed all three bridges over the Seym.  Potentially trapping the Russians.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2024, 05:48:01 AMReports that Ukraine has destroyed all three bridges over the Seym.  Potentially trapping the Russians.

I think that's a couple of days old news. From a Guardian map it seemed to me like those bridges gone makes the Ukrainian left flank in Kursk safer. Also read about a few thousands Russian conscripts now stuck on the wrong side of the river. Let's hope they surrender en masse.

Zoupa

lol the 69th Sniffing Brigade is in Kursk.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on August 21, 2024, 06:25:54 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2024, 05:48:01 AMReports that Ukraine has destroyed all three bridges over the Seym.  Potentially trapping the Russians.

I think that's a couple of days old news. From a Guardian map it seemed to me like those bridges gone makes the Ukrainian left flank in Kursk safer. Also read about a few thousands Russian conscripts now stuck on the wrong side of the river. Let's hope they surrender en masse.

Right you are, it looks like the new part is that the Russians are now admitting it happened.

Legbiter

Big airstrike on a Russian airfield. Overnight drone raid on Moscow.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

If you have doubts about Putin's hold on power, watch him kiss a copy of the Quran on his visit to Kadirov: https://youtube.com/shorts/GiBNqQSauxI?si=22NsaXmL-tJcwmcS

Legbiter

You'd have to have very regular 1000 drone night attacks on Moscow and Pidorsburg aiming to dehouse their populations a la Bomber Harris to dent his approval rating. The economy is on a sugar high and mostly it's just peripheral human biomass that's fighting and dying in Ukraine.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on August 23, 2024, 11:37:02 AMYou'd have to have very regular 1000 drone night attacks on Moscow and Pidorsburg aiming to dehouse their populations a la Bomber Harris to dent his approval rating. The economy is on a sugar high and mostly it's just peripheral human biomass that's fighting and dying in Ukraine.

I have seen the longer footage of his visit. Remember the Putin from more than 10 years ago in that staged meeting with some factory bosses where he really enjoyed bullying them to do better on some thing or other? This isn't that Putin. He was at his vassal who is supposed to depend on him for not being destroyed by his own people and his rivals, but he was a puffed-up headed uncertain sorry sight of a leader. Then kissing the Muslim holy book.

I am getting last days of Ceausecu vibes.

frunk

Besides, I'm pretty sure the Russian OvB is very upset with Putin right now.  That has to count for something.

DGuller

Hopefully that would drive a rift between Putin and FSB.  FSB can't stand Kadyrov and is probably very resentful that they're not allowed to off him.