News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

The so called internet 2.0 was a mistake is the more correct statement.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2024, 09:19:36 AMSeriously though, Vance has the face of a guy who you'd genuinely believe anything about. Anyone could make up the most absurd accusation about him and most people would look at his face and think, "Yeah, that makes sense." It's so easy to make fun of the guy.

Terrible VP pick.

People voting for trump don't care who is the VP. If it was constitutionally viable he could have picked a potted plant.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2024, 11:27:02 PMShe's lost the Otto vote (such as it is) and not without reason.

As I mentioned earlier she never had it, and I didn't really anticipate she would get it--she was never likely to be more sympathetic to Israel than is Biden, whose own fecklessness on the issue cost him my support.

FunkMonk

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2024, 09:24:26 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2024, 09:19:36 AMSeriously though, Vance has the face of a guy who you'd genuinely believe anything about. Anyone could make up the most absurd accusation about him and most people would look at his face and think, "Yeah, that makes sense." It's so easy to make fun of the guy.

Terrible VP pick.

People voting for trump don't care who is the VP. If it was constitutionally viable he could have picked a potted plant.

True but it is still hilarious  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Terrible VP pick.
Still up on his twitter feed. It's real
https://x.com/JDVance/status/1758824534247878692
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2024, 11:27:02 PMShe's lost the Otto vote (such as it is) and not without reason.
Israel is there for the land grab.  Has been from the beginning, as evidenced by all their other actions, notably the continued annexation of territory in the West Bank.  Otto is just happy to see the Palestinians gone.

And they are not even pretending to hide from it anymore.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

What's does a "land grab" even mean when Israel already has jurisdiction over Gaza?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

The West Bank is Israel, it has nothing to "grab."

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on July 26, 2024, 03:15:38 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 26, 2024, 03:03:21 AMIsrael is the one with agency in this situation.

Hamas could stop fighting and hide.
Or you know, they could surrender.  Even the Confederates and the Nazis had the decency to surrender.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2024, 09:24:26 AM

Terrible VP pick.

Or even better: himself.
Though I'm sure Trump would have come into conflict with Trump soon

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on July 26, 2024, 03:03:21 AMIsrael is the one with agency in this situation. The one that America has close links with and can actually have proper discussions with. The functional democracy.
Its pretty common sense the focus would be on Israel.
No doubt some would complain they're discussing the future of the Palestinians without the Palestinians actually being involved. But that's a lot easier said than done with the current mess there and the fact the key player that will need dealing with is a terrorist organisation, so can't exactly casually send someone on a state visit to the US.

The Palestinians are involved.  Hamas has accepted this deal in principal, with only the details remaining to be worked out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2024, 09:02:09 AMI don't see how there could be any deal without some provision for how Gaza is governed when Israel is withdrawn.  That is fundamental. 

The plan proposes negotiations regarding that to occur between phases 1 and 2; i.e. it punts on the issue to get a ceasefire in place (for 6 weeks).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2024, 10:14:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 26, 2024, 03:15:38 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 26, 2024, 03:03:21 AMIsrael is the one with agency in this situation.

Hamas could stop fighting and hide.
Or you know, they could surrender.  Even the Confederates and the Nazis had the decency to surrender.
To be fair, the Confederates and the Nazis didn't have sympathizers all over the world with ability to project political power on their enemies.

grumbler

Terrible VP pick.

OTOH, Vance has absolutely no principals and will change his stand on any issue to whatever stand is more popular on a moment's notice.  He's notably less scrupled than even your average MAGAt, which has to be a benefit when paired with a presidential candidate as unscrupulous as Trump.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 26, 2024, 10:08:31 AMThe West Bank is Israel, it has nothing to "grab."

Ah, the old lebensraum argument.  The only disadvantage to that is that no nation other than Israel believes it.  It's even less popular than the Russian claims that Donetsk, etc are Russia.

Bayraktar!