News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2024, 09:24:26 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2024, 09:19:36 AMSeriously though, Vance has the face of a guy who you'd genuinely believe anything about. Anyone could make up the most absurd accusation about him and most people would look at his face and think, "Yeah, that makes sense." It's so easy to make fun of the guy.

Terrible VP pick.

People voting for trump don't care who is the VP. If it was constitutionally viable he could have picked a potted plant.
Trump will care if JD Vance's fuck ups get more airtime than him.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2024, 12:27:21 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2024, 09:24:26 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2024, 09:19:36 AMSeriously though, Vance has the face of a guy who you'd genuinely believe anything about. Anyone could make up the most absurd accusation about him and most people would look at his face and think, "Yeah, that makes sense." It's so easy to make fun of the guy.

Terrible VP pick.

People voting for trump don't care who is the VP. If it was constitutionally viable he could have picked a potted plant.
Trump will care if JD Vance's fuck ups get more airtime than him.

Trump will be pissed. But he's super insecure. Probably be jealous of the plant to if it got any air time :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2024, 09:02:09 AMI don't see how there could be any deal without some provision for how Gaza is governed when Israel is withdrawn.  That is fundamental. 

This is no different than Israel's stated objective of destroying Hamas and profiting.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 26, 2024, 03:06:35 AMThey both need to make the same initial offer at exactly the same time?

No.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 26, 2024, 10:08:31 AMThe West Bank is Israel, it has nothing to "grab."
perfectly demonstrating why so many think Israel are pretty shit these days
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2024, 09:51:50 AMWhat's does a "land grab" even mean when Israel already has jurisdiction over Gaza?

The same thing they're doing over in the West Bank, really.  Grab as much territory as possible by expelling the local population, then declare it's Israeli national territory and send its own people to live there.  All in peace and harmony, according to some.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Something I just was thinking of: A lot of the critique of Kamala from the Left is tied to her time as DA and AG and labeling her "Copmala", which, personally I feel is silly and doesn't engage with what she actually did in office. Regardless, I wonder if due to her past positions she might actually be in a unique position to rollback a bit of the police state that has been endlessly building. An "I've seen how the sausage is made and it's The Jungle out there" type concept to work from. She's got my vote regardless, but I think it would be amazing if she took some of her policies from that era of her past combined with her current stances to ease up that creeping awfulness.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2024, 01:56:47 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2024, 09:51:50 AMWhat's does a "land grab" even mean when Israel already has jurisdiction over Gaza?

The same thing they're doing over in the West Bank, really.  Grab as much territory as possible by expelling the local population, then declare it's Israeli national territory and send its own people to live there.  All in peace and harmony, according to some.

What does that have to do with the war in Gaza?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 26, 2024, 03:05:25 PMSomething I just was thinking of: A lot of the critique of Kamala from the Left is tied to her time as DA and AG and labeling her "Copmala", which, personally I feel is silly and doesn't engage with what she actually did in office. Regardless, I wonder if due to her past positions she might actually be in a unique position to rollback a bit of the police state that has been endlessly building. An "I've seen how the sausage is made and it's The Jungle out there" type concept to work from. She's got my vote regardless, but I think it would be amazing if she took some of her policies from that era of her past combined with her current stances to ease up that creeping awfulness.
You are an idealist, aren't you? :ph34r:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on July 27, 2024, 12:52:57 AM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 26, 2024, 03:05:25 PMSomething I just was thinking of: A lot of the critique of Kamala from the Left is tied to her time as DA and AG and labeling her "Copmala", which, personally I feel is silly and doesn't engage with what she actually did in office. Regardless, I wonder if due to her past positions she might actually be in a unique position to rollback a bit of the police state that has been endlessly building. An "I've seen how the sausage is made and it's The Jungle out there" type concept to work from. She's got my vote regardless, but I think it would be amazing if she took some of her policies from that era of her past combined with her current stances to ease up that creeping awfulness.
You are an idealist, aren't you? :ph34r:
I spent far too much of my life hating myself and being angry. It was existing without living. I had to almost end it before I realized just how terrible such an existence was. I'm sure I'll ever be a true optimist or idealist, but I try to be one. I fight for hope now. Maybe not for me ultimately, but for a better world and for those who do and will inhabit it. it is harder in many ways, but infinitely more rewarding. "I burn my life to make a sunrise that I know I'll never see."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

It does seem to be a big attack line rising from the republicans to go on about how kamala is "the man" and put so many black people in jail and all that...whilst in reality she apparently did a lot of good work with reform and cutting reoffending rates.

And they're also attacking her with other groups for being a the worst sort of fluffy lefty.
I hate this targeted messaging business.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

They are still working out the attack lines. Seeing what sticks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

The Republicans, if we can still call them that now, are the anti-law and order party.

I shouldn't be surprised, but wow.