News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I don't think he says it well. I think you can see what he means - which is not "despite white supremacist attacks on my wife and my own racism I love her".

Also - on a purely political level - I think this is the type of stuff that only really plays to the choir. "Childless cat lady" and "couch fucker" have broader resonance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2024, 05:13:24 PMBut Trump tells you a lot, lot more. Trump's the id.

Trump is the id of New York new money.  The rest is a con.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2024, 05:08:36 PMYeah the lay-up is a "racism from the left" line - "they say you only value white stay-at-home moms". I think in that context it possibly makes sense to talk about how much he loves his wife (who isn't white) and they've had to deal with racism because of that.

I think it's a very forced and unnatural reading to get het up about this or read too much into it (also I think this is the sort of thing that doesn't work with normal people who don't have strong political views).

It's not like there's nothing else to attack Vance on.

Edit: I mean at worst I think this lays up the opportunity for America's most unlikeable man to do a Checkers speech where he declares that, in fact, he loves his wife and thinks it's disgraceful that any people are racist towards her (include attack on "racism of the left"/only care about white woman) and shame on the media  for ever claiming otherwise and attacking his wife like that.

Just flip the sides making the attack and I think most people would be happy saying this is nonsense.

With respect, you are the one drawing elaborate patterns to end up in a reading where his delivery isn't racist, so it feels much more forced than mine.

Jacob

Sounds like Vance's wife is "one of the good ones."

FunkMonk

I don't know if Vance is a racist or not. But I do know (and there is plenty of evidence for this) that he is seriously terrible at politics.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

I doubt he is a white supremacist or a sympathizer with those views. What I find interesting - and this is consistent with Trump's M.O. - is the reticence to say anything to offend white supremacists. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2024, 08:33:26 AMI doubt he is a white supremacist or a sympathizer with those views. What I find interesting - and this is consistent with Trump's M.O. - is the reticence to say anything to offend white supremacists. 

Vance probably rationalizes that because, if this ticket wins, Trump has promised to "fix it" so that people won't have to vote ever again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Cooper withdraws his name from consideration.

Norgy

Saw Buttigieg on both Fox News and on The Daily Show. My impression is that he's a very decent possible VP pick. Intelligent and articulate, even when not being thrown softballs by Jon Stewart. Is that impression wrong?

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on July 30, 2024, 01:50:56 AMSaw Buttigieg on both Fox News and on The Daily Show. My impression is that he's a very decent possible VP pick. Intelligent and articulate, even when not being thrown softballs by Jon Stewart. Is that impression wrong?

I fear America is not ready for that much diversity on a ticket. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Buttigieg would be great but he's also Californian and ticks a lot of the same segments as Harris.
She needs someone more working class and Eastern.
Buttgieg is the second to next president.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 30, 2024, 05:07:12 AMButtigieg would be great but he's also Californian and ticks a lot of the same segments as Harris.
She needs someone more working class and Eastern.
Buttgieg is the second to next president.

He is not Californian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Well not unless Californian is a colorful euphemism... :ph34r:

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on July 30, 2024, 01:50:56 AMSaw Buttigieg on both Fox News and on The Daily Show. My impression is that he's a very decent possible VP pick. Intelligent and articulate, even when not being thrown softballs by Jon Stewart. Is that impression wrong?

I love seeing him take on the various Fox hosts who think that they are the one smart enough to trip him up. They always fail.

Garbon is correct: America is not ready for that much diversity on a ticket. Too bad: I desperately want to see him debate JD Vance.  That would be one for the ages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2024, 06:04:09 AMWell not unless Californian is a colorful euphemism... :ph34r:

He's from "San Francisco"   ;)

Josq: He's a former rust belt mayor from a midwestern red state.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson