News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2024, 01:27:13 AMhttps://x.com/SimonWDC/status/1818759591792177619

QuoteHarris leads in 7 new natl polls:
49%-45% (+4) Civiqs
49%-46% (+3) Leger (was +7 Trump)
48%-46% (+2) FAU (was +5 Trump)
46%-44% (+2) Econ/YouGov (was +3 Trump)
45%-43% (+2) Redfield/Wilton
44%-42% (+2) Angus Reid
47%-46% (+1) Morn Consult

Is that all of the polls issued or just the 7 that Harris is leading?

Josquius

It does seem she's leading the popular vote overall but most I've seen still put trump as favourite within the system.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on August 01, 2024, 07:35:05 AMIt does seem she's leading the popular vote overall but most I've seen still put trump as favourite within the system.

Yes, but it's close.

Betting odds - 51.6% Trump, 43.6% Harris.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/betting-odds/2024/president

Nate Silver is saying it's a toss-up.

https://www.natesilver.net/p/nate-silver-2024-president-election-polls-model

The main point being - two weeks ago Trump was cruising to an easy victory.  Now, Trump is rattled, the comparison between Harris and Trump looks way more favourable, so who knows what'll happen.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Probably it's my 2016 PTSD coming out again, but what's your take on the new Democrat "smear" on Trump and Vance, i.e. "weird"? Can't it fire back because it gives the same dismissive "we've already won this" impression that Hillary had in '16?

crazy canuck

I think it has been very effective.  It seeks to target Trump, not the people who support him.  The Dems are not making the mistake they made in 16

Sophie Scholl

I think the closest comparison is Hillary's "deplorables" comment. That was aimed at the people who vote for Trump, though and was a disaster. The "weird" comments are directed only at those at the top and I think it is working a heck of a lot better. Trump and his ilk rallied around "deplorables" but they are absolutely panicking at "weird".
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2024, 08:47:13 AMProbably it's my 2016 PTSD coming out again, but what's your take on the new Democrat "smear" on Trump and Vance, i.e. "weird"? Can't it fire back because it gives the same dismissive "we've already won this" impression that Hillary had in '16?

I'm not sure hot it gives off a "we've already won this" vibe.  The advantage of the "weird" campaign is that it primes voters to look for weird things in what Trump and Vance say, making it harder for supporters to hide the insanity behind the bullshit.  Trump and Vance DO say lots of weird shit, but haven't paid the proper penalty for that until now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Norgy

So, it will be another Scorsese movie, then. "The Last Walz".

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on August 06, 2024, 09:51:22 AMSo, it will be another Scorsese movie, then. "The Last Walz".

And if Trump wins it'll be a Last Tango. "Get the butter."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on August 06, 2024, 09:58:27 AM
Quote from: Norgy on August 06, 2024, 09:51:22 AMSo, it will be another Scorsese movie, then. "The Last Walz".

And if Trump wins it'll be a Last Tango. "Get the butter."

:lol:

The rape seed oil.

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 06, 2024, 08:51:56 AMI think the closest comparison is Hillary's "deplorables" comment. That was aimed at the people who vote for Trump, though and was a disaster. The "weird" comments are directed only at those at the top and I think it is working a heck of a lot better. Trump and his ilk rallied around "deplorables" but they are absolutely panicking at "weird".

Yeah. Shockingly attacking the voters is a bad move in Presidential Elections.

What was most head smacking about that Hillary comment was the Romney had destroyed his campaign by calling American voters "takers" just four years before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I dunno. I'd rather be called weird than deplorable. A lot of positive stuff can be spun out of that. A surprise it is working.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on August 06, 2024, 10:31:46 AMI dunno. I'd rather be called weird than deplorable. A lot of positive stuff can be spun out of that. A surprise it is working.

Trump was not called deplorable. And Trump and Vance are weird, that is why it is sticking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."