News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2024, 06:25:27 AMGarbon is correct: America is not ready for that much diversity on a ticket. Too bad: I desperately want to see him debate JD Vance.  That would be one for the ages.

A rumble in the rust belt!!! :w00t:  :mmm:

Josquius

My mistake. Must have mixed him up with someone else.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 30, 2024, 07:47:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2024, 06:04:09 AMWell not unless Californian is a colorful euphemism... :ph34r:

He's from "San Francisco"   ;)

Josq: He's a former rust belt mayor from a midwestern red state.

Err...

Indiana is indeed a "midwestern red state", but South Bend isn't really a "rust belt" city - it's a college town.  I remember in 2020 hearing that Buttigieg, after being mayor of South Bend, kind of didn't have any other career path other than running for President because he was clearly not going to win any state-wide race in Indiana.

I'm quite impressed by Pete Buttigieg, and I kind of wish he could in fact be the VP pick.  But the fact is - he just doesn't have the resume for it.  Harris for example can run on being AG, Senator and then VP.  Buttigieg - he was a small city mayor and then Secretary of Transportation.  For his own sake I hope he has more of a future in electoral politics, but I don't think being VP candidate is it.

(and yes - Trump did not have a resume to be President.  But that's kind of the point, isn't it? #NeverTrump)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

South Bend is a rust belt city, no doubt; it's a former manufacturing center that declined. It is also near a prominent Catholic-affiliated university.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on July 30, 2024, 01:50:56 AMSaw Buttigieg on both Fox News and on The Daily Show. My impression is that he's a very decent possible VP pick. Intelligent and articulate, even when not being thrown softballs by Jon Stewart. Is that impression wrong?
Yeah he's a really good surrogate on the news shows.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2024, 11:28:35 AMIndiana is indeed a "midwestern red state", but South Bend isn't really a "rust belt" city - it's a college town.  I remember in 2020 hearing that Buttigieg, after being mayor of South Bend, kind of didn't have any other career path other than running for President because he was clearly not going to win any state-wide race in Indiana.

It's only a "college town" because all of the factories shut down.  And it makes a very poor college town.

QuoteI'm quite impressed by Pete Buttigieg, and I kind of wish he could in fact be the VP pick.  But the fact is - he just doesn't have the resume for it.  Harris for example can run on being AG, Senator and then VP.  Buttigieg - he was a small city mayor and then Secretary of Transportation.  For his own sake I hope he has more of a future in electoral politics, but I don't think being VP candidate is it.

If Vance has the resume for it, Buttigieg has it in spades.  His doesn't compare to Kamala Harris's right now, but he isn't in competition with Harris.  Four years in the cabinet isn't insignificant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

I am not sure he'll get the VP pick, but I kinda like the idea (my own) of Buttigieg as SecDef.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2024, 08:49:00 PMI am not sure he'll get the VP pick, but I kinda like the idea (my own) of Buttigieg as SecDef.
Nah.  SecState is smack in the middle of his lane.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Maybe.  I think there is a non-zero chance Blinken might be kept on...I expect Austin is ready to fully retire.

Admiral Yi

The only ones that count are State, Defense, and Treasury.  I think he deserves that level, but agree he doesn't feel right for Defense.  If either Blinken or Yellin are ready to step down I'd be happy with Booty Judge in either one of those.

Tonitrus

I don't see why he wouldn't feel right...seems like a very effective manager (a skill that a good SecDef really needs), and spent several years as a Navy officer (reserves, granted), deployed to Afghanistan.  Feels just fine to me.

Admiral Yi

He still looks and sounds like he's 12.  I prefer a little more gravitas at Defense.  Maybe if he got fat.

Syt

I hope Lloyd Austin (or, more appropriately: "Lloyd James Austin III") stays around. The name sounds very 1920s, so fitting for the neo-20s, I guess. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Yeah, but he is pushing 70, has had major health issues...and was nominated due to a close, personal connection with Biden.  I expect he'll go.