News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2024, 08:23:12 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2024, 08:04:37 PMWell we had a process.  All the viable candidates endorsed Harris.  You can't force people to oppose the leading candidate.

I agree.  I don't see the point of holding a model UN when everyone has already made up their mind.  But I asked the question of someone in favor of a process in hopes they would provide a perspective I had not already considered.

Well we need enthusiasm from the public. I hoped one of our Dem governors was secretly a charismatic superstar who would rally everyone around him/her. Or at least rally Michigan and Wisconsin.

But Harris plus some competent governor might do the trick.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

My unscientific research on the internet suggests Kelly is a good VP nom.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2024, 08:58:10 PMMy unscientific research on the internet suggests Kelly is a good VP nom.

He is certainly a certified badass.

But...he sure is valuable as a Senator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2024, 08:58:10 PMMy unscientific research on the internet suggests Kelly is a good VP nom.
That will really piss off the flat Earth crowd.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2024, 09:02:57 PM
That will really piss off the flat Earth crowd.

Yeah well, fuck that crowd.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2024, 09:02:15 PM

Is he valuable personally, or as valuable as anyone with a D to their name?  Arizona has a Democratic governor now, so I assume the seat is safe in Democrat hands as long as he wins the Senate election.  It's quite normal for veep candidate to keep running for their existing seat while also being part of the presidential campaign.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2024, 11:26:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2024, 09:02:15 PM

Is he valuable personally, or as valuable as anyone with a D to their name?  Arizona has a Democratic governor now, so I assume the seat is safe in Democrat hands as long as he wins the Senate election.  It's quite normal for veep candidate to keep running for their existing seat while also being part of the presidential campaign.
He's not up for re-elction this term. He'll stay in the senate no matter what happens.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Oh right, didn't realize it's Sinema's seat that's in play.

Syt

https://dailyboulder.com/elon-musk-accused-of-election-interference-by-blocking-kamala-harris-followers-on-x/

QuoteElon Musk Accused of Election Interference by Blocking Kamala Harris Followers on X

Following Kamala Harris's presidential campaign announcement, users on Elon Musk's platform, X (formerly Twitter), discovered they were unable to follow the vice president's political campaign account.

Attempts to follow @KamalaHQ, Harris's official rapid response page, resulted in an error message stating "something went wrong" or that users had reached their follow limit, preventing them from following any more accounts.

Musk responded by posting a screenshot of the error message accompanied by a gloating remark: "Sure did."

The use of follow limits typically prevents spam, but in this case, it appears the restriction is specifically targeting the Harris campaign account, rather than the users themselves.

dditionally, users reported issues with playing most of Kamala Harris's videos.

These actions raise concerns, especially in light of Elon Musk's public support for Donald Trump. Just recently, Musk pledged substantial financial support to aid Trump's re-election efforts.

In recent days, Musk has continued to share right-wing and pro-Trump content, including criticisms aimed directly at Kamala Harris. His tweets and retweets reflect a stance that aligns more closely with Republican perspectives.

This series of actions and statements by Musk has sparked allegations of election interference, as his platform limitations and public comments appear to target a prominent Democratic candidate, potentially influencing the electoral process.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Never heard of him but a quick Google and yes. Let's have an astronaut in the white house.
Definitely beats the republican offering of a space cadet.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 22, 2024, 05:08:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2024, 04:52:36 PMAlso disingenuous to say you haven't seen anyone argue why there shouldn't be "a process".
What is the positive case? All I've seen is that she is the VP and avoids limbo or division - none of those are arguments for why Harris is the best candidate and I feel that should be the question given the stakes. And I think coming up with some form of expedited process ahead of the convention would be a good way of flushing out those positive reasons (and risks). It could be the right choice - but actively make the choice not just by default.

I can't see a single good reason for making this decision in 24 hours beyond "well we have".

There is a general election to run. The more time the better to get on message, get the ground game out, get voters enthused. Time is a luxury, why waste it?

On the side, and what I think Yi sort of raised, what process are you imagining? At the convention the people who matter are the state electors and delegation by delegation they've made their choice. Would it be better to have that process drawn out over weeks?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2024, 01:31:20 AMhttps://dailyboulder.com/elon-musk-accused-of-election-interference-by-blocking-kamala-harris-followers-on-x/

QuoteElon Musk Accused of Election Interference by Blocking Kamala Harris Followers on X

Following Kamala Harris's presidential campaign announcement, users on Elon Musk's platform, X (formerly Twitter), discovered they were unable to follow the vice president's political campaign account.

Attempts to follow @KamalaHQ, Harris's official rapid response page, resulted in an error message stating "something went wrong" or that users had reached their follow limit, preventing them from following any more accounts.

Musk responded by posting a screenshot of the error message accompanied by a gloating remark: "Sure did."

The use of follow limits typically prevents spam, but in this case, it appears the restriction is specifically targeting the Harris campaign account, rather than the users themselves.

dditionally, users reported issues with playing most of Kamala Harris's videos.

These actions raise concerns, especially in light of Elon Musk's public support for Donald Trump. Just recently, Musk pledged substantial financial support to aid Trump's re-election efforts.

In recent days, Musk has continued to share right-wing and pro-Trump content, including criticisms aimed directly at Kamala Harris. His tweets and retweets reflect a stance that aligns more closely with Republican perspectives.

This series of actions and statements by Musk has sparked allegations of election interference, as his platform limitations and public comments appear to target a prominent Democratic candidate, potentially influencing the electoral process.

I remember all the outrage when he took over and how this and that platform will take over, then everyone went the lazy route and stayed under the thumb of an insane South African aristocrat.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 23, 2024, 02:38:25 AMI remember all the outrage when he took over and how this and that platform will take over, then everyone went the lazy route and stayed under the thumb of an insane South African aristocrat.

Because that would have inconvenienced them. They didn't want that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Nice little bit from Harris.

Quote'Before I became a Senator, I was an attorney general & a prosecutor. In those roles I took on perpetrators of all kinds. Predators..... Fraudsters.... Cheaters ....I know Donald Trump's type'

:lol:

https://x.com/carolvorders/status/1815607254558834869
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Harris is going viral on social media, getting the attention of younger voters in a way Biden could never do.