News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2024, 01:40:29 PMMan, I thought Obama destroyed America.

Indirectly. Having a black man in charge psychologically broke the GOP.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Its hilarious that their ideology demands even someone as uncontroversial white bread and dull as Biden has to be worse than Hitler.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

True. Biden would be center, possibly even right of center in most European countries (though that seems to be shifting at the moment).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I mean people of many different political persuasions could be doing that. Doesn't mean Conservatives aren't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

I solely subsist on low-cal Ancestral Widsom, yet I keep gaining weight!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on July 22, 2024, 01:22:17 PM

I think that is pretty close to what happened.  Except, we didn't swap animal fat for seed oil. Animal fat became something that was removed.  Not swapped.  And I don't think we swapped animal for plant based diets.  Animal based diets are, if anything, much more accessible and affordable from what I remember growing up.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on July 22, 2024, 01:29:20 PMI solely subsist on low-cal Ancestral Widsom, yet I keep gaining weight!

Reading that last line charitably, modern advice is a confusing nonsense.  Things were much easier back when we ate a lot more unprocessed foods - which I think falls under the category of ancestral wisdom, e.g. people were cooking meals based on recipes passed down in a family.

Josquius

Yeah, typical mix in a few truths with moans about something you've decided is woke and bad. In this case vegetarians.

Also hate it when they complain about kids playing video games instead of playing outside. That's the fault of their rotten lot.
They made the world this way.
The change even since I was a kid has been pretty horrid and America has it far worse
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

WTF is the deal with seed oils?  I tried out listening to some nutrition podcast, and the first episode I tried was some woman who tried to raise awareness of the dangers of seed oils.  After half an hour I concluded that she checked most of the boxes of a conspiracy nut.  I never heard anything about seed oils before.  Is that some widespread conspiracy theory that's going around on Twitter?

Darth Wagtaros

It started a year or two ago.  They are teh devil's own piss.
PDH!

HVC

Canola is God's oil and a smart PR move of a name change.

Before it was corn syrup was at fault for everything. They moved on?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2024, 04:30:49 PMWTF is the deal with seed oils?  I tried out listening to some nutrition podcast, and the first episode I tried was some woman who tried to raise awareness of the dangers of seed oils.  After half an hour I concluded that she checked most of the boxes of a conspiracy nut.  I never heard anything about seed oils before.  Is that some widespread conspiracy theory that's going around on Twitter?

Its part of the problem with half truths.  There are some studies involving some seed oils (Canola for example) which show it can have some inflammatory effects. But it is never going to be a cause of obesity.

The other half truth is seed oils are used in the process of creating ultra foods.  But it isn't the seed oil itself that is the problem. It is the creation of ultra processed foods that is the problem.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 22, 2024, 04:35:56 PMCanola is God's oil and a smart PR move of a name change.

Before it was corn syrup was at fault for everything. They moved on?

Well corn syrup is a big problem. Why would anyone move on from saying that putting that much sugar content into the North American diet is a bad thing?