News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 11:20:40 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 10:50:54 AMI guess olive oil use for thousands of years skipped the 50s?

Well this looks British and I have no doubt the cuisine was in a dire state back then.

Fair point

Admiral Yi

the only one that surprises me is no pizza.

HVC

No pasta either, so I guess Italians hadn't braved the damp yet in the 50s
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2024, 05:13:56 PMNo pasta either, so I guess Italians hadn't braved the damp yet in the 50s

Yeah, that one too.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 11:20:40 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 10:50:54 AMI guess olive oil use for thousands of years skipped the 50s?

Well this looks British and I have no doubt the cuisine was in a dire state back then.

Fair point

Following the Roman withdrawal of Britain I guess, despite efforts by Normands.  :hmm:

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2024, 10:14:54 AM

This one looks familiar.
We know its bollocks but some of the details are interesting.

██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2024, 05:13:56 PMNo pasta either, so I guess Italians hadn't braved the damp yet in the 50s

Not true. Pasta may not have been a mainstay but things like macaroni cheese were common in the 1950s (and for at least two centuries before) and there would have been a number of Italian restaurants selling pasta (albeit only in big cities). The popularity of Elizabeth David's book on Mediterranean cooking was published in 1950 and was a popular and critical success and started the long, slow change in British cooking.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on July 25, 2024, 05:49:44 AM

Not true. Pasta may not have been a mainstay but things like macaroni cheese were common in the 1950s (and for at least two centuries before) and there would have been a number of Italian restaurants selling pasta (albeit only in big cities). The popularity of Elizabeth David's book on Mediterranean cooking was published in 1950 and was a popular and critical success and started the long, slow change in British cooking.

Spaghetti and Pizza were also known.  The GIs can probably be thanked for that.

Josquius

That's what the video reply I posted says.
I remember hearing the GIs introduced pizza to Italy during the war too.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on July 25, 2024, 06:37:52 AMI remember hearing the GIs introduced pizza to Italy during the war too.

:lmfao:

Norgy

Jesus. Zoroaster. Anyone.

Well, clearly gammon was popular.
"Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi?".

No, it was called inviting botulism.

"People who did not peel potatoes were considered lazy".

No. Almost every single parent in Norway knew that vitamin-C was in the skin. Even bad fathers. Because they were taught that at school.

"Healthy food consisted of anything edible"

Oh, superb. Here's your mushroom.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on July 25, 2024, 07:34:28 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 25, 2024, 06:37:52 AMI remember hearing the GIs introduced pizza to Italy during the war too.

:lmfao:

I mention it as its weird, but it is broadly true.
https://eccentricculinary.substack.com/p/pizza-isnt-italian
Before the war Italian "pizza" was a very localised and very different dish to what we know today. This was reimported from the US.

Incidentally though I'm crap at cooking and not really much of a foodie I have been on a bit of a culinary history kick this past year. Its really interesting stuff.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on July 25, 2024, 08:13:34 AMJesus. Zoroaster. Anyone.

Well, clearly gammon was popular.
"Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi?".

No, it was called inviting botulism.

"People who did not peel potatoes were considered lazy".

No. Almost every single parent in Norway knew that vitamin-C was in the skin. Even bad fathers. Because they were taught that at school.

"Healthy food consisted of anything edible"

Oh, superb. Here's your mushroom.

I think you will like the video Jos linked

I wasn't around in the 50s, but I remember eating baked potatoes (with the skin on) and fried potatoes (with the skin on) in the 60s, and every other decade I have been alive.

The only time I remember my parents peeling potatoes was if they were making mashed potatoes or pierogies

Valmy

God I hate old person memes. And my generation, generation X, fucking loves pointing out how badass they are compared to the yoots.

Very lame. Especially when you consider all the bullshit we had to put up with from the olds when we were growing up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."