Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

chipwich

I legit thought Norg died of cancer.

Norgy

Syt

So with the SCOTUS decision on presidential immunity ... what are the appropriate ways to fix it? Let's say enough Dems and Reps agree that this is not an ideal situation and want to implement more legal scrutiny on presidential actions - what are their avenues?
- law? (probably not, since it's a constitutional question?)
- constitutional amendment?
- packing the supreme court with justices that will revert the decision? (Or wait for the current ones to die/retire and fill seats with less partisan judges?)

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Constitutional amendment.
Or drone strikes against sitting Supreme Court justices until they change their mind.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2024, 01:11:55 AMSo with the SCOTUS decision on presidential immunity ... what are the appropriate ways to fix it? Let's say enough Dems and Reps agree that this is not an ideal situation and want to implement more legal scrutiny on presidential actions - what are their avenues?
- law? (probably not, since it's a constitutional question?)
- constitutional amendment?
- packing the supreme court with justices that will revert the decision? (Or wait for the current ones to die/retire and fill seats with less partisan judges?)

:unsure:

A reversal in a generation or two is likely easier than an amendment to the Constitution will be.  Or a POTUS that just declares that the USSC decision is "wrong" and prosecutes anyway...Andrew Jackson-style. 

Admiral Yi

I believe, but am not by any means sure, that Congress can overrule the court by legislation in cases where the court has ruled on a Constitutional ambiguity.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2024, 08:53:48 PMA reversal in a generation or two is likely easier than an amendment to the Constitution will be.  Or a POTUS that just declares that the USSC decision is "wrong" and prosecutes anyway...Andrew Jackson-style. 
They could prosecute but it would still end up in the courts, who'd most likely follow the Supreme Court - which could be a helpful route to appeal if you thought you could get a different result I suppose.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Well, with the USSC's own decision, the POTUS could also just order him put jail with no risk of personal accountability.  Of course, that would leave all of the underlings in the Executive branch below the POTUS that have to make the "am I following an illegal order?" calculation still in danger...probably the most egregious part of that ruling (in my opinion).

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2024, 08:58:30 PMI believe, but am not by any means sure, that Congress can overrule the court by legislation in cases where the court has ruled on a Constitutional ambiguity.

Not in a case like this interpreting the scope of Presidential power as against Congressional enactments (the criminal law).  Only an amendment or a change of mind by the Court can fix this mess. Same with the abomination they've made with the 2nd amendment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Where did I put my anti-depressants again?

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on July 17, 2024, 05:23:59 AMWhere did I put my anti-depressants again?

Mine are in the cabinet right next to the Ritalin and the Vitamin D drops. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

What's with Biden's rent control proposal?  Doesn't it seam a little like a populist measure?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2024, 12:35:11 PMWhat's with Biden's rent control proposal?  Doesn't it seam a little like a populist measure?

He has been attempting to get back to his 1970s Democrat roots and do populist things throughout his Presidency.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."