News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Might be of interest to some here: https://www.youtube.com/@An_Economist_Plays/videos

QuoteI've taught Macroeconomics for many years and am an avid simulation gamer, having designed a few military simulation games in my day. Now, I keep the action on my PC and enjoy the challenge of grand strategy games, particularly those involving deep economic thinking and choices.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

One of these things the algorithm throws at you you weren't expecting, but wound up strangely enjoying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6R_p4hsfk

Middle Aged Dad Jam Band featuring Weird Al covering Billy Joel's Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

Middle Aged Dad Jam Band winds up being just that - a bunch of middle aged guys belting out classic songs in someone's garage.  The lead singer is Ken Marino - a B actor you'll probably recognize but never really a star.

I came for the Weird Al content but really - he's just in the band playing the accordion.  Which worked very well here.

It wasn't anything like super amazing, but just a well done cover of a Billy Joel song, very well produced, by a bunch of guys who are clearly having a lot of fun doing it.  Also done super straight, for as cheesy as the song might otherwise be.  It was fun.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

This guy from Quebec has a few videos breaking down differences between historically accurate music and modern interpretations. E.g. "modern" medieval and bardcore vs. what actual medieval music sounded like (includes a brief comparison Quebec and Metropolitan French :P ), "oriental" music in western media vs the genuine article, or current "Viking" music (like Heilung or Wardruna) vs the actual stuff. He goes out of his way to stress he's not saying that the modern versions are better than the others, but that one shouldn't think tavern music in an MMORPG is "real" medieval music. Though he does rile a bit about soundtrack composers throwing together "Arabic" instruments that come from way different cultures, like mixing Armenian and Indian instruments with Arab vocals, saying it's like unironically using banjos with Dutch vocals as mood music for the Soviet Union. :D

Bit heavy on the music theory, maybe, but I found the videos quite informative. :)

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And yes, he has a playlist of Byzantine music for your next CK/EU playthrough. :P

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMlRYqqqM5roJj62ySujDuXLgsoJ9vhMD
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

It seems interesting but I fear I'd have to know about the music he's talking about to really value it. I'm unfamiliar with this neo-x genre.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on July 03, 2024, 05:03:49 AMIt seems interesting but I fear I'd have to know about the music he's talking about to really value it. I'm unfamiliar with this neo-x genre.

Then check his Orientalism video. Talks about how Western movies' and games' "desert music" vs the real thing.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quite old, but I just ran across it again and wanted to share:

The "fluffy" reference is to his oft-stated line that "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Oddest internet sensation ever IMO.  She's coming out with here own line of merch.

Admiral Yi

Interesting discussion on Joe Rogan about the difference between hotness and beauty.  It's an old clip I think.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Afraid Yi is approaching Trump/Biden brain wave patterns...
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi