News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 21, 2024, 04:35:01 AMPopped up in my feed too, as his work does regularly. Was great

Algorithm also showed me the channel a week ago, but I find it a very interesting one.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Josh Strife Hayes looking at King's Field 1994 (which was not released outside Japan), the first FromSoftware game. A focus of the video is how many of their typical design that would live on in Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring is already present here in some form.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

So 8+ years ago there was this guy on YouTube who did video game music covers a capella, with himself. An old video randomly showed up in my feed, so I checked if he was still going ... turns out he is (or was, 8 months ago :D ).

:nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PJL

That reminded me of the Floppotron, a musical project which did covers of classic songs just using floppy disk drives, hard disk drives and scanners as instruments. Sadly the channel hasn't been in over a year, though appropriately enough the last song on the channel is the Final Countdown.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

How jazz improvisation works.  Much simpler than I thought.

frunk

The best reinterpretation of Star Wars movies continues.

Syt

Hard to believe that it's been already 35 years since Warsaw Pact and NATO clashed in Europe and the Pacific North West.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Best looking game ever - a (brief) look at some of the "best looking" games and how it evolved over time (making omissions by necessity).

Goes to show again how far ahead Crysis was (and in some ways still is - like the destructive environments. Too bad the second half of the game goes from semi-realistic near-future military shooter to an alien invasion shooter).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Heh. That one was thrown at me yesterday too.
It is curious how processors stopped getting faster for a long while and only now are jumping again to 8 cores. Or was there some improvement in professor busses or something.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Increases in speed are partially hidden, as the bloated resource leak ridden OS and browsers will expand with eveyr incremental performance increase. :bowler:
PDH!

Syt

A video by People Make Games (by the guy of Shut Up and Sit Down boardgames channel) about the resurgence of Wargames, and their visit to the UK's DSTL (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/defence-science-and-technology-laboratory/about).

I was hoping for a more technical video; it's however primarily looking at the ethical side of this (games that help kill people?), which ... I mean, yeah, worth looking at, and while the presenter tries to be balanced (i.e. wargames as tool to avoid conflict/be prepared for crises, their use in non-military and NGO environments etc.), but he always comes back to it being ethically problematic. Which I assume a lot of people here (including me) don't have as much of an issue with. Yes, playing a scenario as Peiper, set a few days after his unit killed hundreds of civilians in Ukraine has a bit of a bitter taste. Or playing Russia in, well, anything these days. :P

But him standing in front of a projected screen of an air battle over England in the military version of Command: Modern Operations, or scenarios set in England in Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Front or Combat Mission and feeling uncomfortable about such simulations is a bit unfamiliar to most of us, I guess? :D Which more raises the question: which is the more common/humane response? Are we desensitized to simulating bombing raids on our hometowns? :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

If he is appalled that people enjoy violent entertainment...then I would guess he has only been introduced to humans for the first time. Welcome to earth alien man.

If he is appalled by simulations being used by the actual military for training purposes then...I can only assume he is an alien who has only been introduced to humans for the first time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

His vibe is more like, "Our lovely gaming hobby is used ... by ... the military!!!" Again, he tries to be balanced, but it feels like he's been quite sheltered.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2024, 08:23:11 AMHis vibe is more like, "Our lovely gaming hobby is used ... by ... the military!!!" Again, he tries to be balanced, but it feels like he's been quite sheltered.

Well the military has been using gaming for training purposes since the Kingdom of Prussia was a thing. Hell, if anything we are using the military's hobby.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."