News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2024, 08:44:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2024, 08:23:11 AMHis vibe is more like, "Our lovely gaming hobby is used ... by ... the military!!!" Again, he tries to be balanced, but it feels like he's been quite sheltered.

Well the military has been using gaming for training purposes since the Kingdom of Prussia was a thing. Hell, if anything we are using the military's hobby.

Oh, he covers that, and some of the evolution into Chainmail and D&D etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

I don't think that Quinto Smith quite understand what military training is, because he keeps insisting that training aids are weapons, not training aids.  Training aids don't kill people (unless something goes horribly wrong in the training) and what he is talking about here is training that replaces some manual with a simulation.  And sometimes not even that, just replacing a manual with an interactive manual.

I guess that some people who design or review wargames are just desperate for some philosophical approach that makes their work seem edgy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2024, 07:19:09 PM

The only thing better-tuned to bait clicks than "Stupid Americans never heard of this!" is "this (evolutionary) thing was revolutionary!"

It looks cool and seems to be artistically ahead of its time, but it isn't the first graphic novel.  And tons of people around the world, not just some Americans, haven't heard of it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

I admit the title is click baity :(

My main reason for sharing it is that I love Corto Maltese and that Hugo Pratt's early life (which I didn't know about) is pretty damn interesting.

I don't have a strong opinion about what the first "graphic novel" is, but I'm still curious to hear what you think it is (since it's not Corto Maltese).

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2024, 09:50:09 PMI admit the title is click baity :(

My main reason for sharing it is that I love Corto Maltese and that Hugo Pratt's early life (which I didn't know about) is pretty damn interesting.

I don't have a strong opinion about what the first "graphic novel" is, but I'm still curious to hear what you think it is (since it's not Corto Maltese).

I don't know about which was the first one, but there was a graphic novel published in the early 19th C in Switzerland, which was then pirated by French, British, and American publishers.

I agree with you that the vid's dissuasion of Hugo Pratt's early life and how it impacted his decisions on characters and plots was interesting.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

8 charts that will change the way you perceive dating.  I found this eye opening.

Syt

Tristan Hughes from The Ancients podcasts (which I think some of us here listen to) looking at some of the best and worst depictions of Rome in movies and TV.

Worst moment: "Ah, David Tennant, Doctor Who. A long time ago, I remember watching this when I was growing up." :cry: (The episode aired 16 years ago.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.