2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on June 28, 2024, 01:12:49 PMI'm seeing some suggesting blinken as the substitute?

Anthony Blinken seems like a very reasonable and sensible person.  I have no issue with the man.  I'm amused by the fact he apparently introduces himself as A. Blinken (say it out loud).

But the man has never run for public office in his life.  We've seen it before where local/regional politicians shrink on the national stage (think Ron de Santis, or maybe a Michael Dukakis) - you want to put someone with no experience whatsoever at the top of the ticket?

I'd rather see Pete Buttigieg - even though wildly unqualified, he at least has the political skills.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2024, 10:38:51 AMAlthough if you wanted to hit home to Biden and people close to him that he needs to step down, and to avoid it just being Harris you could do a lot worse than a very early pre-convention debate

Biden's not stepping down. And swapping out Biden for Harris is a political impossibility. Plus she'd be Hillary 2.0 so might as well run with Biden, he's still likelier to win. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2024, 02:11:11 PMI'd rather see Pete Buttigieg - even though wildly unqualified, he at least has the political skills.
Pete is far more qualified than pre-2016 Trump was, though. <_<
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Legbiter on June 28, 2024, 03:40:02 PMBiden's not stepping down. And swapping out Biden for Harris is a political impossibility. Plus she'd be Hillary 2.0 so might as well run with Biden, he's still likelier to win. :hmm:
I really wish Biden had picked Pete to be his running mate.  Sure, it's bad optics for the Democrats to run two white guys these days, but it's not like the Republicans weren't already doing the same and at least Pete's gay so he fits into one 'minority' bracket. 
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

I think Gretchen Whitmer remains my top pick in terms of actual electability. I'd love to see someone closer to where I am on the Left, but I know such a candidate would be unelectable in America.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 28, 2024, 04:35:28 PMI think Gretchen Whitmer remains my top pick in terms of actual electability.

I actually agree and a Michigander politician would be ideal. But I am not even sure if she wants to be President.

At least with Gavin Newsom and Pete Buttigieg we know they both desperately want to be President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2024, 05:26:37 PMAt least with Gavin Newsom and Pete Buttigieg we know they both desperately want to be President.
Which is why I desperately *don't* want them to be President. Well, one of the reasons why.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 28, 2024, 05:28:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2024, 05:26:37 PMAt least with Gavin Newsom and Pete Buttigieg we know they both desperately want to be President.
Which is why I desperately *don't* want them to be President. Well, one of the reasons why.

Yeah that is one of the problems with our system. Becoming President is such an onerous process that only sickos who really want it will put up with it...and if you really want to be President that badly it kind of makes you suspect that you should be...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2024, 05:31:10 PM

Yeah that is one of the problems with our system. Becoming President is such an onerous process that only sickos who really want it will put up with it...and if you really want to be President that badly it kind of makes you suspect that you should be...
I think it's a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent.  It's fashionable to be a cynic and assume that every politician with an ambition is a crook.  Eventually where that gets you is that only crooks will have ambition to become a politician, because they'll be least bothered by people assuming by default that they're crooks.

DGuller

New York Times editorial board called on Biden to GTFO.  I wonder if that will get the avalanche going.  Until that piece no significant entity went on record asking him to get out.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Newsom's two biggest hits against him are:
1. Pretty sketchy/politically-targetable personal life.
2. Governor of California.

#1 is a non-factor due to the current opponent...level playing field. 
#2 will mostly just play into the right-wing "woke/decadent Californians" playbook that mostly will only work on the solid part of the GOP base.

But tend to agree...going to be skeptical of people who seem to want it too much.  But he is playing it smart...he has made it very clear he stab Biden in the back, only take an empty chair.  Probably the smartest play to make for the DNC bigwigs/super delegates.

OttoVonBismarck

You lefties wanting Biden out are dreaming--America is not going to vote for the Hamas-lovers who would replace him. Biden is wretched, but the rest of the Dem lineup is basically in bed with the idea of Israel not having a right to exist.

It is a sad state that the Dems have let themselves become so hijacked by Hamas that the only good option is voting for the GOP (which itself is a terrible party these days.)

Sophie Scholl