News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So I am definitely not a Kamala Harris fan.  She really seems like the Peter Principle made flesh - someone accomplished enough to have made California Attorney General, then Senator then VP - but at some point she is well past her actual abilities.

But When I went #NeverTrump I meant it.  I'm starting to come around to the idea that as flawed as Harris might be, I think she still might be a better candidate than Biden in order to beat Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Sometimes I forget Kamala is VP or even running on the ticket.

I say we nominate Andy Brashear. Maybe he can at least win us Kentucky.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2024, 02:03:59 PMI say we nominate Andy Brashear Beshear. Maybe he can at least win us Kentucky.
No thanks, I would like to keep him.  He's literally the only thing holding this state back from going full Republictard.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2024, 02:03:59 PMSometimes I forget Kamala is VP or even running on the ticket.

I say we nominate Andy Brashear. Maybe he can at least win us Kentucky.

I think she is the prototypical VP who stays silent on the sidelines.

I've never heard of that person. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2024, 02:14:32 PMI've never heard of that person. :o
He's my governor.  Good guy.  We love him.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Are people wanting Michele Obama herself, or are they assuming that she'll be a front for another term or two for Barrack, like with that mafia lawyer's wife in Vegas?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2024, 01:53:39 PMSo I am definitely not a Kamala Harris fan.  She really seems like the Peter Principle made flesh - someone accomplished enough to have made California Attorney General, then Senator then VP - but at some point she is well past her actual abilities.

But When I went #NeverTrump I meant it.  I'm starting to come around to the idea that as flawed as Harris might be, I think she still might be a better candidate than Biden in order to beat Trump.
I mean if nothing else I think she'd be more energetically campaigning which is not to be sniffed at.

I find Harris fascinating because she's someone I really like the idea of and thought sounded like a really impressive candidate on paper. But then everything I saw of her seemed fairly underwhelming.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 03, 2024, 02:39:58 PMI find Harris fascinating because she's someone I really like the idea of and thought sounded like a really impressive candidate on paper. But then everything I saw of her seemed fairly underwhelming.

Bingo. Back in 2019 I was like "tough cop Democrat, that might get some traction among moderate voters"

But then in the initial Primary debates she just wanted to discuss ending of school busing way back in the ancient times as a way to attack Joe Biden. Very weird. And she didn't really do much during the 2020 campaign and it seemed like was kind of lame in her debates with Pence. And has kind of disappeared as VP. I know VP isn't the most visible office but it sure seemed like we saw more of Mike Pence, VP Joe Biden, and Al Gore than we have of Kamala. Obviously Cheney is a special case.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2024, 02:47:26 PMObviously Cheney is a special case.

He was ahead of his time.  Thanks to the USSC a shooting in the woods by someone in the Executive Branch won't be news anymore.

Sophie Scholl

Joe bringing Hunter into his inner circle for meetings, advice, and campaign strategy is... certainly a choice. I'm not sure the Biden campaign could do a better job of collapsing and handing the election to Trump than it is doing now. We really, really need a replacement and fast.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 03, 2024, 03:01:44 PMJoe bringing Hunter into his inner circle for meetings, advice, and campaign strategy is... certainly a choice. I'm not sure the Biden campaign could do a better job of collapsing and handing the election to Trump than it is doing now. We really, really need a replacement and fast.

No member of the President's family should be in the inner circle. Him surrounding himself with his family now is concerning. Rather Trumpian.

Like I am sure Hunter and Jill are very supportive and all but he needs political people giving him advice not people who love Joe Biden.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2024, 01:53:39 PMSo I am definitely not a Kamala Harris fan.  She really seems like the Peter Principle made flesh - someone accomplished enough to have made California Attorney General, then Senator then VP - but at some point she is well past her actual abilities.

I don't think much of Harris either, and my concern is that by picking Harris, Democrats will again play to not lose.  Playing to not lose is a good way to lose.  I think Trump has shown that giving people reasons to vote for you will generally overpower reasons to not vote for you; energy beats caution.

The Minsky Moment

Newsom, Shapiro and Whitmer look like the best options. Joe should get out of the race ASAP to give enough time to sort it out. Electability should be sole criterion at this point. If Joe really cares about family first, this is the best option; either way, when the election ends, he can pardon Hunter without any fallout.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

I really wonder what's going on with Biden. I've heard some blaming his wife for deluding him.
He really needs to think about how he wants to be remembered.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 03, 2024, 03:46:44 PMNewsom, Shapiro and Whitmer look like the best options. Joe should get out of the race ASAP to give enough time to sort it out. Electability should be sole criterion at this point. If Joe really cares about family first, this is the best option; either way, when the election ends, he can pardon Hunter without any fallout.
Let's save Shapiro for the times when the anti-ahem-Zionist part of the left is less activated by current events.