2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2024, 11:48:19 PMIf the conclusion comes to be that Biden really is unfit to run for another term, then I think questions have to be asked about the groupthink on the left about this issue.

Uh...the left doesn't really like Joe Biden. He isn't, and has never been, one of them. The Democratic centrists love the fuck out of him. And it has always been the party propping him up, not leftists.

Every leftwing media I have ever seen will give him credit when he does leftwing things but is hardly enthusiastic.

The Democratic Party pushes him. If you haven't seen people nervous and upset he is running again on the left I don't know what to tell you.

Fuck I have been hand wringing about this for years. I didn't vote for him in the damn primary and my only option was Dean Phillips.

Everything is some grand story of leftist failure to you. Well sometimes it is the institutions that fail. If there had been an open primary with real challenges to Biden, he would have had a hard time. The leftists didn't get the chance to challenge him, at least not the voters.

But if the party was doing its job, Biden never would have been running again in the first place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

In fact one of my huge concerns is that large numbers of leftists who held their nose and voted for Biden in 2020 are going to stay home or protest vote in 2024. Far from them group-thinking that they love Joe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 27, 2024, 11:50:37 PMI don't know where that groupthink existed, but nowhere in the leftist circles I was in.
I think more liberal. There was an NYT article and I've seen people being chided online for mentioning his age or raising questions about it because it's "repeating right wing talking points".

I think Rory Stewart (former UK politician teaching in the US) has said he's been told off by Democrat friends for saying he thinks it's a concern.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2024, 12:02:23 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2024, 11:48:19 PMIf the conclusion comes to be that Biden really is unfit to run for another term, then I think questions have to be asked about the groupthink on the left about this issue.

Uh...the left doesn't really like Joe Biden. He isn't, and has never been, one of them. The Democratic centrists love the fuck out of him. And it has always been the party propping him up, not leftists.

Every leftwing media I have ever seen will give him credit when he does leftwing things but is hardly enthusiastic.

The Democratic Party pushes him. If you haven't seen people nervous and upset he is running again on the left I don't know what to tell you.

Fuck I have been hand wringing about this for years. I didn't vote for him in the damn primary and my only option was Dean Phillips.

Everything is some grand story of leftist failure to you. Well sometimes it is the institutions that fail. If there had been an open primary with real challenges to Biden, he would have had a hard time. The leftists didn't get the chance to challenge him, at least not the voters.

But if the party was doing its job, Biden never would have been running again in the first place.
Relax, jeez, I meant the blue in the blue/red divide, not the hard left wing.  The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, NBC.  When I heard from them about this, it was always along the lines of "misleading out-of-context clips of Biden" talking point.

chipwich

I also voted for Dean Philips because it was the only anti Biden option.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2024, 09:52:12 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 27, 2024, 09:42:36 PMImportant take away is Trump said Israel needs to finish the job. I am looking forward to all the Muslim extremists who have been chanting antisemitic shit here in the U.S. finding out what happens when Trump gives Netanyahu a green light to do whatever is necessary in Gaza day 1 of his Presidency.

Since this apparently the only issue that matters at all in the entire United States and the world to you, I am glad you will at least be happy.

Too bad for otto that Trump is de facto an ally of Iran, Hamas, hezbollah and the houtis by reason of Trump sucking putin dick

Tonitrus

OvB's points (not his conclusion) are spot on with mine.

Also, extremely cringe-inducing every time they showed both candidates while Trump was speaking.  What might be worse for Biden than how he appeared when speaking, was how he looked/facial expressions when he wasn't.

Josquius

So...trump actually threatened to cook up some phony accusations for Biden.
Really depressing stuff.

QuoteNeither man is really fit to be President, but when one side is being taken over by actual Muslim terror groups the choice is clear regardless of any debate.

I'm not sure about the muslim word in there. But basically yes. The choice is clear indeed.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2024, 11:48:19 PMIf the conclusion comes to be that Biden really is unfit to run for another term, then I think questions have to be asked about the groupthink on the left about this issue.  I haven't been following the political media for years, but from what I did glimpse occasionally, it did seem like almost everyone on the left-leaning media was trying to sell us this story that Joe just misspeaks in public from time to time, like all people do, and like Joe always did.  "If you watch him in private, you'll see that he often manages to complete a coherent sentence, and he always successfully makes use of the toilet when he needs to take care of business."

Suppressing critical discussion doesn't make the issue go away, it just it blow up on you with much more force later, at a more inconvenient time.

I saw nothing like this.

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 27, 2024, 11:50:37 PMI don't know where that groupthink existed, but nowhere in the leftist circles I was in.

Some people here really didn't like that I was raising his age months ago.

Tamas

Based on the review of y'all I retract my optimism around Trump not winning this election.

Trump in the White House, Le Pen's party leading France, the AFD coming up like sewage after a pipe burst and Nigel Farage as the future leader of the opposition. There may be a rough few years coming for Ukraine and just everyone without properly white skin.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2024, 02:23:27 AMBased on the review of y'all I retract my optimism around Trump not winning this election.

Trump in the White House, Le Pen's party leading France, the AFD coming up like sewage after a pipe burst and Nigel Farage as the future leader of the opposition. There may be a rough few years coming for Ukraine and just everyone without properly white skin.

Not particularly great even for cis straight white guys either.
Putting all your energy into a single pointless thing like oppressing others is terrible for business as the UKs brexit obsession showed.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I can't see the Trump regime doing anything for those decaying towns in the flyover states that provide him with so much of his support. I suppose there will be some entertainment watching him kick down  :hmm:  ?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

I watched a recap of the debate, but I couldn't get past the first stumble. This is really bad.

Not sure why Biden wanted these debates anyway, he had a lot more to lose. And now he did.